Grapes?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Can chickens have grapes?

I seem to recall that they can as well as raisins and I bought some grapes, watermelon, blueberries, and strawberries today to give them for the juiciness factor as it is HOT HOT HOT today but I wanted to be sure it is safe to give to them before I do. I can give them the watermelon and berries and save the grapes for later until I find out.

I seem to remember it is safe? I just want to be sure since I know they are toxic to dogs and cats. Or at least dogs.

Also, can they have onions? I know it can be somewhat controversial. Some say yes, some say no, some say yes but that and citrus makes the eggs taste funny. Just wondering because we were in New Hampshire from Thursday to Sunday and there was a mostly eaten onion in there that evidently my brother gave them. I immediately took it and threw it in the woods. But they all seem perfectly fine so I assume it's okay? But like I said I had heard conflicting things so was worried and wanted to be sure. Regardless, they won't be getting any more onions or garlic. Maybe garlic was the problematic one????

Want to be sure about GRAPES though for today.

Thanks in advance.

How did they like it? My 3 love getting grapes
1f601.png
1f347.png

How did they like it? My 3 love getting grapes
1f601.png
1f347.png

Turns out they love them!! And blueberries. They also LOOOVEEEEE watermelon, they eat it so fast. I was trying to give them juicy fruits. Gave them watermelon quarters for 2 days, today was cooler so nothing, and tomorrow is supposed to be very very hot and humid again so I'm going to try giving them some more grapes, i only gave them a couple before. But they snagged them and ran lol

Turns out they love them!! And blueberries. They also LOOOVEEEEE watermelon, they eat it so fast. I was trying to give them juicy fruits. Gave them watermelon quarters for 2 days, today was cooler so nothing, and tomorrow is supposed to be very very hot and humid again so I'm going to try giving them some more grapes, i only gave them a couple before. But they snagged them and ran lol
lol
Mine LOVE pasta...I give them leftovers whenever we have them and pasta is their favorite
1f35d.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

lol
Mine LOVE pasta...I give them leftovers whenever we have them and pasta is their favorite
1f35d.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

I haven't tried giving them pasta but mine go crazy over bread and fightfor it lol

Just remember everything in moderation.  When I leave mine a big slice of watermelon they get the runs something fierce!

Good point! I used to go way overboard with treats and give them several handfuls of BOSS, corn, mealworm party mix, bread, etc. But then I cut way back because I was worried they'd get fat. I actually haven't even really given any treats lately (except bread, I admit i need to stop feeding bread), but I just figured since it was so hot I would give them watermelon. But you are right, probably wasn't smart to do it twice in a week especially 1/4 watermelon like that. I have 8 of them but that's still a lot of watermelon per bird. I haven't noticed any runs but was actually wondering if it was bad to give them so much becauseI was worried about the sugar content in watermelon, probably mostly sugar and water. Thankfully I'm out of watermelon to give and I will be more careful. Thanks for the warnings. Thinking I'm going to give them some grapes and blueberries today though.

Yes, thank you
I don't go over board. Just a little treat for a trade of an egg
1f601.png

Good plan

Back
Top Bottom