Graphic description - maggots on butt

Suzannah

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Georgia
My flock has had fairly poopy butts lately; nothing runny, but just like they can't get it past their tail feathers.

I grabbed one chicken to give her a trim and wash and found two round "sores" (they weren't red, brown, with no blood) filled with tiny, writhing creatures above her cloaca on either side (is that they correct word? It is like on the flap of skin above her rear). SO utterly horrible. I grabbed the hose and washed them, but I couldn't get the creatures out (they sort of stopped moving and contracted). Seriously vomitous operation.

What are they? What do I do? Cannot be good. Her sister died on unknown cause last year, but it seemed like she had been eaten from the inside out.

Oh, poor baby. I would try to smother them with something, most likely antibiotic ointment.
That will do 2 things at once. Smother, and disinfect.

One of my hens had this last year. This is called Fly Strike. It occurs when poop gets stuck to the feathers, and a fly lands on the poop and lays its eggs. This often happens inside the coop at night.

What you ca do:

1) Wash the birds butt under the tub faucet with lukewarm water. You need to remove of all the maggots, or else it can get worse. It may be hard, but try. Also use your finger to pull out the maggots from under the flaps of skin. Be gentle. I know this is gross, but it gets the job done. Put some anti-bacterial cream on the wounds.

2) Check the coop for any flies, and kill them. Each night when you put your birds to bed, make sure there are no flies inside the coop. You should also buy some fly-sect of some sort. Sprinkle this around the coop, inside it, and where ever there may be flies. (If the chickens have dust bowls, sprinkle this area too).

3) Check your other birds. If the flies stay on the bird, they will litterally eat the bird to death. They can also pick up infections very easily with open wounds, so be sure to care for them correctly.

Look up more information on fly strike.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I don't think I forgot anything! Good luck!

Last edited:
One of my hens had this last year. This is called Fly Strike. It occurs when poop gets stuck to the feathers, and a fly lands on the poop and lays its eggs. This often happens inside the coop at night.

What you ca do:

1) Wash the birds butt under the tub faucet with lukewarm water. You need to remove of all the maggots, or else it can get worse. It may be hard, but try. Also use your finger to pull out the maggots from under the flaps of skin. Be gentle. I know this is gross, but it gets the job done. Put some anti-bacterial cream on the wounds.

2) Check the coop for any flies, and kill them. Each night when you put your birds to bed, make sure there are no flies inside the coop. You should also buy some fly-sect of some sort. Sprinkle this around the coop, inside it, and where ever there may be flies. (If the chickens have dust bowls, sprinkle this area too).

3) Check your other birds. If the flies stay on the bird, they will litterally eat the bird to death. They can also pick up infections very easily with open wounds, so be sure to care for them correctly.

Look up more information on fly strike.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I don't think I forgot anything! Good luck!
I honestly don't think I am capable of digging like that. I am seriously nauseous thinking about it. Can I smother them in something? I can do everything else, but I don't think I am physically capable of doing what you say.

We do have flies, pretty bad, in their coop. Will diatomaceous earth help? Will they eat Golden Malrin (sp) (which I know works)?

I honestly don't think I am capable of digging like that. I am seriously nauseous thinking about it. Can I smother them in something? I can do everything else, but I don't think I am physically capable of doing what you say.

We do have flies, pretty bad, in their coop. Will diatomaceous earth help? Will they eat Golden Malrin (sp) (which I know works)?
You can try taking vaseline or anti-bacterial cream and push it in there some how. Maybe with a q-tip. Not sure how effective that will be tho. I can understand your nauseousness!

You're definitely going to want to get rid of those flies so no other birds get this. Diatomaceous earth is what I use around the coop and it works well, so yes this will help tons. I would still use something else as well. I would not use Golden Malrin around the chickens because of how toxic it is. I suggest a Garden & Poultry dust, which is a white powdery substance. You usually can get it at your local Garden & Feed store.

This will be my plan for tomorrow - thorough cleaning of coop and behinds. The other birdies look ok, at least the ones I saw today. WIll check everyone.

Thank you for the help!!

Getting a fly trap, like for horses, will cut down on the flies.
It also is
sickbyc.gif
when you need to maintain it, but it's better than having your chickens eaten alive.

We had a small kitten that got this once :( Nasty. I'm gonna get a fly bag soon too. Little bastards. I HATE flies and maggots give me anxiety attacks. I have a HUGE worm phobia

I did it. GAG. I am glad, though; it went from two dime-sized spots to deep, quarter-sized divots overnight. I am going to check her again today and do it again if I have to. She is in a little isolation area. All other chooks are clean.

Cleaning their pen after breakfast today. Couldn't do breakfast before.

Blerg.

I was eating when I started reading this.... Was.
sickbyc.gif

Good luck with your bird! Sounds like you did the right thing. I bet she is sooo much more comfortable now.

Back
Top Bottom