I was mean to my goose

Its not you. Its that time of year. I watch my girls interact with the gander and they will do anything to get his attention. April the sweetest goose you ever met. She get the gander to come in to the pond stands on him pushes him bites him pulls his feathers you name it. Then finally the gander gets in the right position and she gives in (its like ok dud do your thing). Its that time of year. My white girls hiss at me and put there neck down in warning when I put them away there gander just stands and watches. Hes tired already dealt with there demands all day. Its funny its like a turn around in behavior. but is that time of year.
Just a little suggestion dont know if it will work. Her eggs are not fertile but maybe let her go broody if she will on them. Keep your fingers crossed that the new eggs hatch and see if she wants to do a exchange with the new babies. I do this with Mama every year.

If you can find a gander you can raise from a gosling and spend a lot of time with you shouldn’t have too many issues. If you don’t mind getting a different breed you might also think about a buff gander, a dewlap African, jumbo African, or dewlap Toulouse, they’re known for being calm breeds. I don’t have Pilgrims myself but I’ve heard they can be feisty.
I have Sebastapol eggs in the incubator and my friend has Toulouse babies she would give me, but I don’t kow if they are dewlap Toulouse. Is there a difference?

Yes, Dewlap Toulouse are bigger goose than production Toulouse I don't know their temperament but I know someone who does. @Iain Utah
My female Toulouse is very easygoing, sleeps in the main coop with my Runners, and Buffs and chicken since she lost her mate, and is never mean to any of them. She's like a big sister.

Its not you. Its that time of year. I watch my girls interact with the gander and they will do anything to get his attention. April the sweetest goose you ever met. She get the gander to come in to the pond stands on him pushes him bites him pulls his feathers you name it. Then finally the gander gets in the right position and she gives in (its like ok dud do your thing). Its that time of year. My white girls hiss at me and put there neck down in warning when I put them away there gander just stands and watches. Hes tired already dealt with there demands all day. Its funny its like a turn around in behavior. but is that time of year.
Just a little suggestion dont know if it will work. Her eggs are not fertile but maybe let her go broody if she will on them. Keep your fingers crossed that the new eggs hatch and see if she wants to do a exchange with the new babies. I do this with Mama every year.
Do you think she would try to kill me if I gave her babies? I cannot resist baby geese, and she would have to share them with me. What kind of geese do you have? Oh, and do you take any of the babies, or does she get to keep them all? I can’t imagine having a heartbroken mama goose.

Do you think she would try to kill me if I gave her babies? I cannot resist baby geese, and she would have to share them with me. What kind of geese do you have? Oh, and do you take any of the babies, or does she get to keep them all? I can’t imagine having a heartbroken mama goose.
😂😉

The Pilgrim goose in my profile pic turned out to be a gander. I saw it in the behavior for months and I keep trying to stop "her" from injuring my white pilgrim gander. then one day I actually saw 'her' penis. (the breeder I got HIM from said thats impossible) well what do you know...
Are you serious?? Wow! Is she still all gray? Has she had babies, and what color are they if so?

The other thing I just noticed in the past two days is that she now only has one lobe when she had 2 before. The one lobe hangs down straight in the center and I think there might be something wrong with her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom