Graphic! Hen has big wound, tons of maggots, pooping yolk HELP

Pics

michael757

Songster
Jan 21, 2017
My hen has a big hole right below her vent. There was tons of maggots around and in it, I got most, if not all by putting her in the bath and letting them go down the drain. I noticed when she pooped yolk and blood came out. There is also this stuff on her feathers, I don't know what it is. Please help, I'm not sure what to do. I have no money for a vet and places that sell chicken friendly wound cleaner are closed. I have work until Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_192124.jpg
    IMG_20210512_192124.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20210512_192130.jpg
    IMG_20210512_192130.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20210512_192140.jpg
    IMG_20210512_192140.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20210512_192146.jpg
    IMG_20210512_192146.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 93
This is known as fly strike and is deadly to some chickens, if you do not get all of the maggots off her as they continue to hatch out over the next day. It is a problem when they have a soiled vent area and flies ar around the coop. I would soak her twice a day for the next 24 hours to make sure that they are gone or are dying. Warm Epsom salts, betadine, chlorhexadene, dish soap, or saline are some of the possibilities to use. You may need a magnifying glass to see all of the maggot larvae. Pick them all off with tweezers. Then use some plain antibiotic ointment over the area to help smother any more.

She could have a reproductive disorder that is causing the runny droppings. When flies are present, it is important to make sure then chickens have clean vents, so they don’t attract flies. Prevention and treating flies is good. Here is a good article about the causes and treatment of flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

How did it get this bad?
Maggots attack quick!.if you are in a place with alot of flies and you get a wound you could have thousands of maggots the next day. I've had rescue calls about ducks who have lost eyes and the next day the whole face is eaten. Maggots are nasty animals and if you spot ANY you need to act fast. Maggots are the worst predators in my opinion and they are sneaky.

Maggots attack quick!.if you are in a place with alot of flies and you get a wound you could have thousands of maggots the next day. I've had rescue calls about ducks who have lost eyes and the next day the whole face is eaten. Maggots are nasty animals and if you spot ANY you need to act fast. Maggots are the worst predators in my opinion and they are sneaky.
Oh gosh! I'm going to go set up fly traps now... :th:sick

This is known as fly strike and is deadly to some chickens, if you do not get all of the maggots off her as they continue to hatch out over the next day. It is a problem when they have a soiled vent area and flies ar around the coop. I would soak her twice a day for the next 24 hours to make sure that they are gone or are dying. Warm Epsom salts, betadine, chlorhexadene, dish soap, or saline are some of the possibilities to use. You may need a magnifying glass to see all of the maggot larvae. Pick them all off with tweezers. Then use some plain antibiotic ointment over the area to help smother any more.
Thank you, I will be doing this, I only have Epsom salts. Right now I am sitting in a waiting room at an emergency vet, I decided to go ahead and get professional help. But depending on how this goes I might be doing that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom