*graphic images*Chick with ripped cloaca???!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by em530, Aug 17, 2016.

1. em530

em530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    This morning when I let my chickens out I noticed one of my chicks was just standing, not running around with the others, I picked her up and noticed that her back end was matted up a bit with poo, I cleaned her up and noticed her cloaca is not as it should be!!! Instead of being like lips (so to speak) it seems to be just flapping skin like its ripped open?? It's hard to explain but I will post some pictures. I have no idea what to do!! She is lethargic, and tucked up, the chick is about 5 weeks old. There is no blood and the flesh is pale not red or inflamed.i have no clue how this has happened? I thought that I will put her in the brooder with the heat lamp and vitamins but after that I have no idea how to fix this?! Does anyone have any ideas or seen this before? Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    It looks like she may be dehydrated to start with and there may be a little poop stuck in there, I would give her some clean water with a bit of molasses in it for some energy whiles she's tucked into your brooder. If you could give her some of her regular feed but put some water in it to make a mash it may encourage her to eat and get her system processing again too. Best of luck to you and your little bird!

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some clearer photos?

Separate her so you can monitor her eating/drinking and pooping. Can she poop?

Give her a good soak in a warm epsom salts bath, make sure the vent is covered with solution - gently scrub the vent with a wash cloth after she has soaked for a while - this may help debride any tissue . This will also help you see the vent a bit more clearly.
    Could have been a partial prolapse - can't tell very well by the photos but the vent tissue may have hardened. Apply some hemorrhoid cream to keep the vent area moist and help reduce any swelling.

As @Newmamabear suggested keep her hydrated - if you have them add some poultry vitamins to her water and give her wet chick starter. If you are feeding anything else beside chick starter make sure they have access to a source of grit - I find it best to give them a commercial grit (crushed granite) that is found at the feed store.

Molasses acts as a laxative and will help relieve constipation, so generally this would be a one time dosage.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Newmamabear

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    How's your little bird doing Em?

5. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, unfortunately after doing everything I could I have found the poor little chick passed away this morning [​IMG] thankyou for all your help

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

7. Newmamabear

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Sorry for your loss Em

8. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    Thankyou, unfortunately I have another with the exact same symtoms [​IMG]

9. Newmamabear

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Oh no [​IMG] Are they your own hatch? Or are they imports from another flock? How long have you had them? Age?
    With more than one with the same symptoms I would be inclined to think it may be illness instead of one failure to thrive type situation. Are the rest of your flock all perky?

10. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    Yes they are my own hatch, 16 between 3 broody hens, it is the latest hatch that is suffering, they were A week after the others. They are 5 weeks old now.The symptoms seem to happen in this order, runny white poo all down the back feathers, then straining when they do an actual poo not just white water, very lethargic, drink a lot, and then finally the ripped looking cloaca, I have racked my brains and I can only think that they have eaten some layers pellets when they have got through the fence into my other pen, I know if young chicks eat layers it can be horrendous but I don't know what it does? My other chicks being that little bit bigger cannot get through the fence, so I wonder if that is it, I can't think of anything else?? It looks as if I'm going to loose 2 more [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by