*graphic images*Chick with ripped cloaca???!!!!!

Yes they are my own hatch, 16 between 3 broody hens, it is the latest hatch that is suffering, they were A week after the others. They are 5 weeks old now.The symptoms seem to happen in this order, runny white poo all down the back feathers, then straining when they do an actual poo not just white water, very lethargic, drink a lot, and then finally the ripped looking cloaca, I have racked my brains and I can only think that they have eaten some layers pellets when they have got through the fence into my other pen, I know if young chicks eat layers it can be horrendous but I don't know what it does? My other chicks being that little bit bigger cannot get through the fence, so I wonder if that is it, I can't think of anything else?? It looks as if I'm going to loose 2 more
1f622.png

Can you post some clearer photos of the one's that are having trouble?

Separate out the two that are having problems. This way you can monitor them. Give them wet chick starter, water with poultry vitamins and have some chick grit available in a separate container. Nothing else to eat but the wet chick starter.

Try to keep the vents washed up and clean - apply some ointment or coconut oil to the vents and to keep moist.

Eating a small amount of layer feed at that age shouldn't be detrimental - if this was all they were eating, then it's may not be that good. It's possible it could be a developmental/genetic disorder that can't be corrected.

Let us know how they are doing.

Thankyou, unfortunately I have another with the exact same symtoms
1f622.png

Can you post some clearer photos of the one's that are having trouble?

Separate out the two that are having problems. This way you can monitor them.  Give them wet chick starter, water with poultry vitamins and have some chick grit available in a separate container. Nothing else to eat but the wet chick starter.

Try to keep the vents washed up and clean - apply some ointment or coconut oil to the vents and to keep moist.

Eating a small amount of layer feed at that age shouldn't be detrimental - if this was all they were eating, then it's may not be that good. It's possible it could be a developmental/genetic disorder that can't be corrected.

Let us know how they are doing.
I've been doing some googling on your little birds. Is there any way you could exhume the first one? Necrotic enteritis is coming up a lot, if there are nodule type growths on the intestines and enlarged kidneys and liver it could be the cause. I agree with Wyorp Rock in keeping up with the tlc too. I hope they get better

I've been doing some googling on your little birds. Is there any way you could exhume the first one? Necrotic enteritis is coming up a lot, if there are nodule type growths on the intestines and enlarged kidneys and liver it could be the cause. I agree with Wyorp Rock in keeping up with the tlc too. I hope they get better

That's a possibility - in your search did they find Necrotic Enteritis in birds as young as 5wks? Could be bacterial.

I like you keep thinking it could be something more. The white runny poop covered bottoms makes me think Gleet- which would be yeast/thrush. Enteritis is bacterial, so somewhat along the same lines.

Also considering cocci, with 9 strains, there could be connection there as well, but have never seen a distended vent from cocci.

@em530 do you have a vet you can take a fecal sample for a fecal float test. Have it checked for bacteria and cocci?
Any photos of the poop?

Last edited:
That's a possibility - in your search did they find Necrotic Enteritis in birds as young as 5wks? Could be bacterial.

I like you keep thinking it could be something more. The white runny poop covered bottoms makes me think Gleet- which would be yeast/thrush. Enteritis is bacterial, so somewhat along the same lines.

Also considering cocci, with 9 strains, there could be connection there as well, but have never seen a distended vent from cocci.

@em530
  do you have a vet you can take a fecal sample for a fecal float test. Have it checked for bacteria and cocci?
Any photos of the poop?
yes between 4-7 weeks, I'm thinking the smallest that can fit through the fence maybe caught a quantity of bacteria that the rest didn't have access to that may have compromised thier immune systems. If it is gleet, would it be wise to add some acv with mother in it to thier water? It may knock down the existing infection if that is the case
How are they doing Em?

yes between 4-7 weeks, I'm thinking the smallest that can fit through the fence maybe caught a quantity of bacteria that the rest didn't have access to that may have compromised thier immune systems. If it is gleet, would it be wise to add some acv with mother in it to thier water? It may knock down the existing infection if that is the case
How are they doing Em?

Good thought about them getting through the fence and being exposed to different bacteria.

Could have been exposed to a stronger/different strain of cocci as well.

Lethargy can be associated with so many things, but the drinking a lot...not quite so many.

@Newmamabear did your info mention any symptoms where birds were excessively thirsty.

Good thought about them getting through the fence and being exposed to different bacteria.

Could have been exposed to a stronger/different strain of cocci as well. 

Lethargy can be associated with so many things, but the  drinking a lot...not quite so many.

@Newmamabear
did your info mention any symptoms where birds were excessively thirsty.

They did not mention excessive drinking in the case of poultry but it was mentioned in the case of pigs where it's a commen ailment as well. I can only assume, but I will read up again that the excessive drinking may be due to the runny poop dehydrating them

Thankyou so much for all your help everyone I will try and upload some pictures shortly, they are not doing well, one is worse than the other, I have them on vitamins in their water and chick starter, I keep washing their bottoms and have applied some nappy ointment to stop from getting sore (only thing I had) I don't have a vet near me willing to take on a chicken, I have done it in the past and was given abuse for taking the poor thing in. The rest of the chicks are healthy but these two are certainly not, also smaller than the others and neck is withdrawn. I have treated them all for cocci and when they manage to poop the poop looks normal but in between poops it is constant leakage of this white liquid, they are being kept warm and they are willing to eat but I don't hold much hope especially for one of them

Do you have any apple cider viniger? It does work wonders for the digestive tract, two tablespoons per gallon is all you need. If you can dropper some into their mouths it may restore some balance to thier digestive system. No accounting for some vets out there but I'm positive they're getting more attentive care with you all the same. :)

Thankyou so much for all your help everyone I will try and upload some pictures shortly, they are not doing well, one is worse than the other, I have them on vitamins in their water and chick starter, I keep washing their bottoms and have applied some nappy ointment to stop from getting sore (only thing I had) I don't have a vet near me willing to take on a chicken, I have done it in the past and was given abuse for taking the poor thing in. The rest of the chicks are healthy but these two are certainly not, also smaller than the others and neck is withdrawn. I have treated them all for cocci and when they manage to poop the poop looks normal but in between poops it is constant leakage of this white liquid, they are being kept warm and they are willing to eat but I don't hold much hope especially for one of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmamabear

Do you have any apple cider viniger? It does work wonders for the digestive tract, two tablespoons per gallon is all you need. If you can dropper some into their mouths it may restore some balance to thier digestive system. No accounting for some vets out there but I'm positive they're getting more attentive care with you all the same.
smile.png
X2 with @Newmamabear They are getting good care. Try the ACV.

Leaking white liquid in between poops makes me think Vent Gleet.
@Sally Sunshine has a good article on gleet, she gives instructions for ACV and an epsom salt flush. May be worth a look/try especially since they are not doing well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html

Thankyou so much I will try all of the above, I want to give these chicks a fighting chance, once again thankyou for your help I will look up vent gleet I will keep you updated
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom