Graphic neropsy picture. Update: Coccidiosis is BACK!! HELP!!

Duh! I can't believe I didn't even think of coccidiosis! I am now positive that is what it is. I didn't think much of it at the time,but Duey had dark, reddish droppings the consistency of gel stuck to his feathers. And, two other chicks, in a different brooder, near the others, that just started having extremely bloody droppings. One is lethargic, thin and puffed up. I happened to have Corid on hand, so they are getting 6 CCs per gal of that plus medicated chick starter.

In the necroscopy pictures, I could see the ceca, two long dangly things attached to the intestines. They are sort of like the human appendix, except chickens have two of them and they are much larger (relative to the intestine size). Your ceca looked dark brown compared to the lighter beige of the intestines. This is probably due to a cecal coccidiosis, perhaps Eimeria tenella, a very common species of coccidia.

My birds had that one and probably the Eimeria necatrix. I diagnosed mine with the remote help of a veterinarian at the Univ. of FL with digital pics. Your ceca look similar to mine.

I would treat for coccidiosis immediately, and treat ALL of your birds. Corid (amprolium) is the best way to go, but if you don't have it handy, Sulmet is also good. It goes in the drinking water - if they don't seem to be drinking, you may need to make up a stronger "drench" solution and put it down their throats (or drip along the beak) directly with each bird.

Good luck, and let us know how this turns out!

Quote:
Thanks so much! After looking it up, I did decide it was E. necetrix, since E tenella affects younger birds. I started treating the sick ones last night with the little bit of corid we had on hand. Do I need to treat ALL of our chickens? All 100 adults who might not have been exposed? I can't do that yet anyway, I don't have enough Corid. I will get some more. I have less than 10 CCs left

Lot another one. Have a dieing serama in my hands also. The one that is dieing is my only silkied serama hen
hit.gif

Aww I'm so sorry for you. I always loose a few chicks to Coccidiosis everytime I move them outside to the brooder. I usually just put them on sulmet for a few days if I noticed any puffed up. And it usually saves them.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't believe it 'spreads' so much. I believe it is in all dirt. And birds with lower Immune systems, or not enough immunity to it gets it.

It might very well be something else that is killing your birds. On corid or sulmet you should see quick recovery within a few days.

I found out why they are still dieing. The Corid I had was too old! DOH!
I treated them all. Hoping for a complete recovery.
The silkied hen is still alive, barely. She has had a force fed dose of concentrated Corid.

Ondra's Seramas :

I found out why they are still dieing. The Corid I had was too old! DOH!
I treated them all. Hoping for a complete recovery.
The silkied hen is still alive, barely. She has had a force fed dose of concentrated Corid.

I know when I medicated my flock for coccidiosis, they weren't drinking much water - don't know whether it was because they felt bad and weren't drinking or the water "smelled funny" to them, or both. If you can manually dose the chickens with a "drench" of the medication, and just give them REGULAR water (maybe with some ACV in it) to drink, you will be sure that they get the right dosage of medication down them. I lost SEVERAL after starting the medication in their water, because by that time they just felt so crappy they weren't eating or drinking much at all. I was traveling and my husband was watching them - he didn't really notice how much (or little) they were drinking, because I was always the one fixing their water, etc. so he just didn't know what was normal.
sad.png

If their guts aren't working right, you need to watch them for sour crop, too - if the guts aren't working, the stomach does not send the signal to the crop to let food down properly and it might just sit there. ACV direct into their crop can help with this.

Good luck and keep us updated!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom