Graphic - nodules on lungs?

solidstate

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
Grant County WA
This bird died at my friends house while I was in my way over to dispatch it. Upon inspection, the lungs (?) and the fat around the gizzard had these nodules. I was in a hurry and didn’t look too much further, but she also had a large volume of green fluid and a little bit of smelly/eggy debris in her abdominal cavity.

Any ideas on what this is? My friend is worried about her other birds?

Attachments

• IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 40
It may have been internal laying. I just lost a hen to that. She also had very smelly liquid in her belly.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised. That could definitely explain the abdominal debris and fluid. The nodules/lesions on the lungs are still super weird, I haven’t seen anything like it. The hen’s only symptoms was respiratory distress, and death within 48hrs. My initial thought on that was maybe aspergillosis.

Do you have photos of the lungs? I'm not seeing them, did you scrape them out?

The nodules are likely due to something like Avian Lymphoid Leukosis, perhaps Marek's, hard to know unless a Pathologist really does some testing.

Looks like a fluid filled sac, did you get a look at the Liver?
Also something yellow, that's either a fat pad or was it lash material?

Reproductive disorder, fluid, cancer or tumors from a virus and organ failure would be my best guess.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Do you have photos of the lungs? I'm not seeing them, did you scrape them out?

The nodules are likely due to something like Avian Lymphoid Leukosis, perhaps Marek's, hard to know unless a Pathologist really does some testing.

Looks like a fluid filled sac, did you get a look at the Liver?
Also something yellow, that's either a fat pad or was it lash material?

Reproductive disorder, fluid, cancer or tumors from a virus and organ failure would be my best guess.

Hopefully others will chime in.
The liver seemed normal, compared to the few I’ve seen in the past, the lungs were my best guess for what those symmetrical organs with the nodules were. I was in a rush and had to get going to an appointment so I didn’t take them out, I only had a pair of scissors, a puppy pad, and gloves. I just haven’t done enough necropsies to be more than just a little bit familiar with the anatomy, so those may not be lungs.

The ovary was active, with several developing ova. The gizzard looked normal but the fat surrounding it had small nodules. The greenish-yellow and yellow stuff was yolk-like material. Possibly internal laying or lash explains that?

The lungs are very small and are located along the spine. I don't see lungs in the photo.

You may find this video helpful.

I’ve been meaning to watch this one lol, just hadn’t had the chance yet. Thank you.

I probably misindentified the organ or mass. Perhaps it is the liver, maybe, if the smaller lobe was not covered in nodules and I thought it was the whole thing. It wasn’t very large and was a little friable, but smooth and a deep red. I’d love to have been able to watch a necropsy video first and take my time, but everything was so rushed today I just didn’t have the time. The chicken was also in rigor which made it more difficult to maneuver.

I did change clothes and shower when I got home in case it was anything potentially contagious, since I have chickens, and also diamond doves and finches at home.

Last edited:
She could also have TB. :hmm A friend once shot a deer that's lungs look similar, got it tested and came back that it had TB.
Chickens have TINY lungs since they also rely on 9 Air Sacs as part of the respiratory systems.

The lungs are not really readily visible when processing or doing a necropsy, they are situated along the spine.

Their lungs are not like Deer/Mammals.

1713927747922.png

Back
Top Bottom