Graphic photo who’s the predator?

Sheissoblond

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
I’m curious if anyone knew what did this? I want to try to defend against the right predator. It’s odd because no one in our area has ever had a problem. Everyone has their chickens and guineas free range and most of my neighbors don’t have a closed coop. We didn’t bother with a coop we can close up a night for this reason. I’ll be adding a door today. None of the others were injured and my chicks (kept in a separate area) were also left alone. I found her towards the back of the property about 30 feet from the coop. Head and organs missing but that’s it. She looks undamaged beside her bottom being cleaned out. All meat is still there. I just thought it odd. I’m thinking raccoon since eggs were missing but just want to see what you guys think.

Attachments

• 2F07D42B-62B9-4A0E-A5E9-BA9D07DFB5F3.jpeg
    2F07D42B-62B9-4A0E-A5E9-BA9D07DFB5F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 36
My immediate guess is a hawk/predator bird? I don't see the usual plucked feathers around... It doesn't look messy enough to have been a raccoon, to me... Regardless--I'm so very sorry!!!

I just found an informative article--I'll paste the related paragraphs and will share the direct link:

Wounds Near the Vent; Entrails Pulled Out
If your chicken is alive, with bite marks and lacerations around her vent, or if your bird is deceased, with intestines pulled out through her vent, the predator in question belongs to the weasel family. Weasels, minks, ferrets, badgers and martens wrap themselves around their prey’s body and attack the vent area. Members of the weasel family will also bite a bird at the base of the skull to kill it before feeding.

Chest/Neck Torn; Internal Organs Eaten
This gruesome carnage signifies a common poultry predator, the raccoon. This type of predation pattern often occurs when a raccoon has gotten into a coop at night. It will typically feed on one or two chickens in this manner, then depart, leaving the remains behind.

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/chickens-csi-predators-identify-injuries/

Do you have any feral cats in the area? I haven't seen one take on a chicken, but many small birds stray cats have killed have similar wounds. It's unlikely, but still a possibility.

Do you have any feral cats in the area? I haven't seen one take on a chicken, but many small birds stray cats have killed have similar wounds. It's unlikely, but still a possibility.
I have a cat and my neighbor has a barn cat but both are super friendly with the chickens. They been good at catching moles and mice in the area. I know it wasn’t them.

Your culprit could also be a possum. They usually only kill/eat 1-2 birds at a time, & often eat the head & insides thru vent. U can put a game cam up to see what lurks, but main thing is now that a predator has found your birds, it will return morw meal at the buffet. So do fortify your coop. Yes it is possible to go years without an attack, but once a predator discovers easy access to a meal it will keep coming for more.

Asked one of my neighbors and they said a nest of eggs was cleaned out without a trace a few months ago but that was the only thing they’ve had happen. I live in Georgia near South Carolina and I’ve gotta be honest I’ve never heard of us having weasels, martens, or anything like that. I’d love to see one but then again maybe not. Never even seen them as roadkill.

Your culprit could also be a possum. They usually only kill/eat 1-2 birds at a time, & often eat the head & insides thru vent. U can put a game cam up to see what lurks, but main thing is now that a predator has found your birds, it will return morw meal at the buffet. So do fortify your coop. Yes it is possible to go years without an attack, but once a predator discovers easy access to a meal it will keep coming for more.
Argh I’ll add wire behind the door as added measure too. Possums are so darn cute 👀 don’t judge me lol. I have a had a bag of trash that was left on the porch now that I think of it that was gone through a bit. Not strewn everywhere but still a small hole in it. Any good deterrents you could suggest? I hate to kill an animal only doing what’s in its nature

Back
Top Bottom