Graphic pic. Bloody vent discharge

Dirtbowls

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
20210515_121514.jpg
this is the second time this has happened in three days. She's bare from my first cleaning up attempt. I read about vent gleet and applied a cream, etc.

Could this be an internal injury? Impacted egg? There's no bloody stool, has full energy, eating, drinking normal.

That's not good.

My first thought is definitely vent gleet, but usually the discharge is runny with cheesy stuff. That's frank blood from injury of some sort...external injury or internal laying. It's possible severe vent gleet could cause some bleeding...but that much????

Query...do you have a male duck on the premise? Is it possible a drake has tried to mate her? That can cause internal injury. Roosters don't have an actual appendage that enters the vent, while a drake does, which causes problems for the chicken hen if an overly amorous drake finds her of interest (it happens).

I don't have a good answer. Hopefully someone has experienced this.

LofMc

That's not good.

My first thought is definitely vent gleet, but usually the discharge is runny with cheesy stuff. That's frank blood from injury of some sort...external injury or internal laying. It's possible severe vent gleet could cause some bleeding...but that much????

Query...do you have a male duck on the premise? Is it possible a drake has tried to mate her? That can cause internal injury. Roosters don't have an actual appendage that enters the vent, while a drake does, which causes problems for the chicken hen if an overly amorous drake finds her of interest (it happens).

I don't have a good answer. Hopefully someone has experienced this.

LofMc

No Drake, that's what I was afraid of when I first saw her like that, as my neighbors have Drakes. No obvious external injuries. I felt inside her vent for broken egg but nothing

Back
Top Bottom