[GRAPHIC pic] What Killed My Duck?

Ibicella

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Everett, WA
Found my poor Cayuga duck in pieces today and I'm bewildered.

I have chronic insomnia, so I checked on the birds before going to bed at 5am when it started getting light out and everything was fine. NOBODY heard or saw anything, not even a peep from my last remaining duck or the chickens or my husband who was getting up just as I was going to bed!

Whatever it was, it was very stealthy and HUNGRY. Only left a pile of intestines and the liver and a trail of feathers nearby, but it left pretty much no meat on her at all.

What am I up against? I'm in the middle of suburbia.

upload_2017-6-20_8-58-7.png

Last edited by a moderator:

I have chronic insomnia, so I checked on the birds before going to bed at 5am when it started getting light out and everything was fine. NOBODY heard or saw anything, not even a peep from my last remaining duck or the chickens or my husband who was getting up just as I was going to bed!

Whatever it was, it was very stealthy and HUNGRY. Only left a pile of intestines and the liver and a trail of feathers nearby, but it left pretty much no meat on her at all.

full
OK, I enlarged the scene a couple of times, notice the feathers removed from neck and wing, no chew or bite marks at all on bones, and the cavity opened on one side. Not even the ribs are broken or chewed. Also notice how the flesh was cleanly removed, I have seen this before done by a large bird of prey. I don't know all the species in your area but I am guessing a red tail hawk or a bird of that size, maybe larger given the amount it ate. I don't know of any mammal that is or can be that delicate around the fine ribs and neck bones. They generally just eat bone and all and there are noticeable marks and fractures of the bones. They also don't have as good of table manners, most all would be gone and the intestines wouldn't be in a neat pile, but strewn about or eaten as well. I caught the raptor that preyed on my chickens after I contacted DNR, they said I could do whatever was needed to protect my stock. I modified a small leg trap and placed it on the carcass as the bird landed there to feed. Covered the soft jawed trap with feathers and had it the next morning. The animal was destroyed, relocation does not work. Hope this helps.

full

Last edited:
OK, I enlarged the scene a couple of times, notice the feathers removed from neck and wing, no chew or bite marks at all on bones, and the cavity opened on one side. Not even the ribs are broken or chewed. Also notice how the flesh was cleanly removed, I have seen this before done by a large bird of prey. I don't know all the species in your area but I am guessing a red tail hawk or a bird of that size, maybe larger given the amount it ate. I don't know of any mammal that is or can be that delicate around the fine ribs and neck bones. They generally just eat bone and all and there are noticeable marks and fractures of the bones.
How did you enlarge it?
I haven't been able to figure out how to enlarge/zoom a picture on here yet?

I strongly suspect raccoon for multiple reasons. No dry feathers associated with plucking. Feathers attached look wetted as is predator rolled carcass around in it own juices. Too much tissue removed for one sitting by a raptor. I do see broken bones. Muscle looks gnawed off. Carcass being skinned strong indicator of raccoon although opossum sometimes does that too. Carcass remains near kill site ruling out foxes, coyotes and bobcats.

Back
Top Bottom