[GRAPHIC pic] What Killed My Duck?

Critter I am after is trap-wise after catching its buddy two nights ago. Will be using a dog proof leg trap tonight. It will be caught.
those are one of the best things I have found. I have only heard this mind you, a coon will stick its paw in a small hole, grab bait in fisted paw, then will not release bait to free itself and is stuck in this trap, it was said, a milk jug works like this as well. This was from a trapper many years ago. Maybe he baited me into that one, but i seen many other sets and the furs he collected, that's when furs had a good value.

this trap actually grabs hand.
oh yes they do, i pity the person who thinks they are going to release the rascal caught in this trap. I even have an animal restraining pole and won't use it on them. I just put the animal down. It would be like grabbing the end of a saw trying to free it from that trap.

pitty me.
WOW, how in the world do you keep that rascal off of you while removing that dog proof trap. I will apologize now for being long winded, BYC lets me talk to people and about the things I love. not many here have these animals. I was blessed with folks who let me drag in nearly any critter and to teach myself many things, trapping as well, and some were very painful lessons. I had a friend in school who trapped beaver and muskrat learned a lot from him from trap sets to finished fur.

I kept free-range raccons as pets for than a decade as a kid. Also hunted them using hounds.
we raised 2 bottle babies at a couple years apart, Bandit and Banditta, they were so fun and smart, one had a thing for dads beer can tabs and other shiny items, would hide them in one spot under the bed. Both of them got aggressive when they were adults. They were allowed in and out of the house as they wanted, old screen door back then, no lock on it. We turned them free in a no hunting area with a creek and lots of woods. I miss those days of simple life, 4 tv channels,no drugs or gunshots nightly, hot, hard work, drunken father and all. And yes, even that old rotary wall mounted phone.

we raised 2 bottle babies at a couple years apart, Bandit and Banditta, they were so fun and smart, one had a thing for dads beer can tabs and other shiny items, would hide them in one spot under the bed. Both of them got aggressive when they were adults. They were allowed in and out of the house as they wanted, old screen door back then, no lock on it. We turned them free in a no hunting area with a creek and lots of woods. I miss those days of simple life, 4 tv channels,no drugs or gunshots nightly, hot, hard work, drunken father and all. And yes, even that old rotary wall mounted phone.

Similar to my background. From southern Indiana near Santa Claus. Mine as adults were not aggressive but were grumbly when you met them after dark. Some of the grumbly-ness was more a form of acknowledgement I think versus agression. As kittens, some came in house but after first couple of runs I started denning them in trees. Mom got ticked when she found them sleeping in cubbard. Still brings it up 40 years later.

Similar to my background. From southern Indiana near Santa Claus. Mine as adults were not aggressive but were grumbly when you met them after dark. Some of the grumbly-ness was more a form of acknowledgement I think versus agression. As kittens, some came in house but after first couple of runs I started denning them in trees. Mom got ticked when she found them sleeping in cubbard. Still brings it up 40 years later.
I love southern Indiana, to dang busy with work and all this modern stuff to do anything, i have to come back here to rest after days off or a vacation, been with light company for 35 years. Even this industry has changed, we burn natural gas instead of Indiana coal now. Price is so high, my plant is on reserve shutdown. Nearly 700 megawatts of generation capacity off. I never thought I would see the 460 megawatt unit I run off. Planned and forced outages used to be the only times.
You ever have a coon bait a dog into a pond? the old man next to us lost a dog that way, coon could maneuver faster and drowned it MR folkning told us. I guess it was a costly dog even back then

Dogs were worth more for us back then. Hides went for $30 each so easy to make a profit. Took a couple years to get dogs into groove. Never lost a dog to raccoon. Lost one to snake bite but it had complications to start with; heartworm. Could out swim my coons. They would bear hug my head when they got tired as we hunted in cattails. They could not stand up and rest.

Back
Top Bottom