Graphic Pics----Can a chicken get WARTS Please help!!!

Definitely looks like a bad case of fowl pox. From what I've read, there's not much you can do but wait it out. Others may have advice on helping her be a little more comfortable.

Looks like a bad case of the fowl pox. There is nothing you can do really, some peiople say put black shoe polish or toothpaste on the pox to dry them up. They are caused by mosquito bites, and once they have the pox, they are immune to having them again. There are Wet pox, and Dry pox. The wet ones are the ones that get into the eyes, throat etc. You have to watch the wet pox because they can cause secondary issues, like food getting caught in the throat and choking to death and such as that.

Ok Im wondering which poxs mine has....Im gonna say mine do have POX???? know someone said there is a home remeady to get rid of them...I read toothpaste in here but is there like perioxide or betadine????

36033_comb.jpg
POXS??

The lesions on the comb and wattles are the dry form. The only problem with dry pox lesions is that a secondary bacterial infections occasionally happens. I put Betadine or Neosporin on mine (Neosporin near the eyes as it won't hurt if it gets in the eyes) simply to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. They dry up and disappear in a month or so, with or without treatment.

The wet form is inside the mouth/throat. There is still really no treatment, but this is the form that can be dangerous.

Black liquid shoe polish is an "old timey" remedy. Hadn't heard of toothpaste, but it is a mild disinfectant. Betadine or Neosporin are probably more effective in this regard.

Ok, thanks so much!!!! so it is Poxs then but dry....gosh, Im telling you first time having chickens...and first they got mites and we dusted them 12 days ago, there fine now....then one got something on its wings, dont know what,...but looks like the wings are either losing feathers or been eaten away???...and now this....

still havent solved the wing problem...but my roo looks bad....kind of ugly he is looking and he is a Porc. D'Uccle I posted a picture in here think post was called: what is happening to my bantams wings

Iodine or blu-cote on the external lesions. Use listerine to swab ones inside the mouth if you get lesions there. You can pute the blu-cote internally, but you need a smaller, disposable swab rather than the one it comes with.

Spray your coops for mosquitoes and maybe put some repellant around them. I've hung the repellant bracelets (for humans) on hte coop wire. There is a new small fan repellant that one wears that I've thought of getting.

Back
Top Bottom