GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I just found this video... I have read through most of this thread and from what I can tell it seems to show the process very well. Those of you who have caponized (I have not done the procedure) how well do you think this video shows the steps? The only thing that I can see he does different from what you have instructed on this thread is that he secures both legs and a lot of you here recommend only securing the top leg? Anything else you see that you would do different or something not shown that we should know before attempting it ourselves?

Nice video! I wish I had found it before I did the first ones. Looks just like what I do except I use a loop to remove the testicle rather than forceps. It takes about 5 minutes start to finish on one side, unless I suture then it takes a couple more minutes. Obviously the Chinese videos demonstrate crazy skill since they do both sides in seconds.

I just found this video... I have read through most of this thread and from what I can tell it seems to show the process very well. Those of you who have caponized (I have not done the procedure) how well do you think this video shows the steps? The only thing that I can see he does different from what you have instructed on this thread is that he secures both legs and a lot of you here recommend only securing the top leg? Anything else you see that you would do different or something not shown that we should know before attempting it ourselves?

The video was quite good. If you pour alcohol over the site I would let it dry before plucking, or pluck at a different time (like the day before) and definitely allow to dry before cutting. He seems very skilled w/ the pointy forceps, I would strongly caution especially first timers about using such a pointy tool for the removal of the teste, looks great for removing the facia though.

He secures w/ string, elastic is less likely to bruise or cut into the areas being secured.

The leg securing is just a difference between the American approach (both legs) and the Chinese approach (one leg) so the second leg can be pulled up under the chicken to provide for better positioning of the testes for viewing.

He did not talk about fasting prior, very important step not to forget.

I been working on 5 birds every morning and this morning I came across something That was frist a dark testicle not black but very close.the other side was normal yellow color.Kind of weird got 5 more to do tomorrow than I will be done with this batch.

I have some that are 9 weeks old that I would really like to try and caponize. Do you think that they are too old?

For future reference what has everybody here decided is the "best" age to caponize?

Last edited:
Does anybody here know what will happen if you caponize a rooster who already has a large comb/wattle? I've noticed that capons seem to have very small comb/wattles, like a hen's. If the rooster has already grown quite large ones (his are very large, especially for a 9 week old), will the comb/wattle shrink, or just stop growing?

I have some that are 9 weeks old that I would really like to try and caponize. Do you think that they are too old?

For future reference what has everybody here decided is the "best" age to caponize?
I usually caponize/poulardize at 8 weeks but if you don't expect results in 30 days, I've seen birds done at 4 to 6 MONTHS and they did quite well.

It's better to cut a young bull or kid goat at under 2 weeks, some do it on day one...(not me) but I've seen it done at 18 months with superb result in meat quality.

Back
Top Bottom