GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I have been reading though this thread with great interest and am wanting to give this a go with my current hatchery shipment. I received toooo many males (I'm guessing they sent them as extras for warmth) and I need to do something with them as I already have too many males. I am hoping to see if anyone is local (NC/SC) that would be willing to help mentor me. I'm willing to travel (or host) and do a trade or whatever to repay the time and knowledge that is passed.
Want to say thanks to all that have posted their experience talking though the good and the bad of the procedure. I think I could do it on my own, but it would be great to have someone there to show the exact location and what to avoid when doing the cut. I've ordered the Chinese set and it is on the way so I'm getting close to time to jump in to Caponization. I think have about 6-7 males to do that I think I have figured out as males. The number may climb as I have some Dominiques and EEs that are harder to tell because the combs are a little more difficult to call @ 4-5 weeks old.

@Poco Pollo is an excellent instructor, and had classes but is in OK.
I have been reading though this thread with great interest and am wanting to give this a go with my current hatchery shipment. I received toooo many males (I'm guessing they sent them as extras for warmth) and I need to do something with them as I already have too many males. I am hoping to see if anyone is local (NC/SC) that would be willing to help mentor me. I'm willing to travel (or host) and do a trade or whatever to repay the time and knowledge that is passed.
Want to say thanks to all that have posted their experience talking though the good and the bad of the procedure. I think I could do it on my own, but it would be great to have someone there to show the exact location and what to avoid when doing the cut. I've ordered the Chinese set and it is on the way so I'm getting close to time to jump in to Caponization. I think have about 6-7 males to do that I think I have figured out as males. The number may climb as I have some Dominiques and EEs that are harder to tell because the combs are a little more difficult to call @ 4-5 weeks old.

I had my first go at caponizing 3 seven week old males this morning. Hubby 'helped' a little with holding them still and shining a light. No deaths at least but I didn't get full capons either.

The first one I went in from both sides...Couldn't find anything very well on the left side so I went in from the right and it was nice and easy to see. I only got one testes on that one and I was a nervous wreck. Hands shaking and hubby whining and not shining the light into the body well. So I wrapped that one up knowing I'd have a slip.

Had to take a short 5 minute break to bring down my nerves.

The next one I went in through the right side first to see if I could have better luck. I got the first one out in pieces. Then as I was looking for the second one I nicked something and it started bleeding, but it lived so I stopped while he was still with us.

The third one went smoother, but still only found one testes I was able to get. I probably should have flipped it over and tried from the other side but Hubby was in full blown 'I'm done' mode so I had to stop there.

I think I will just get a head lamp and some better tie downs so I can do it myself so I don't have to feel pressure to get it over with.

This was a learning experience and I think my next round of roos will go a bit better. I definitely need to figure out how to do it myself since my 'helper' wasn't as helpful as I wished. Also need to figure out why I'm only finding one on the right side and not seeing the other one. I guess the intestines are in the way and I just need to go in from both sides until I figure out where things are located.

Fat Daddy and I were just talking about this.

There are really only 3 tools need to do capons. A scalpel, rib spreader and something to scoop up the testicle with. There is a lot of stuff in these kits that I don't think is necessary. If the skin is stretched above the area where the incision is made between the last 2 ribs, no sutures will be required because when released the incision in the flesh will be at one location and the incision in the skin will be lower when released. It essentially becomes self sealing wound. Back in the day a sharp pocket knife was used and a horse hair in a stray was used to scoop up the testicle. I doubt you will find a ready made kit in the US because of the political incorrectness of the procedure. If you want some interesting reading, check out the file I uploaded.

Anyone ever find a caponizing kit like this one but from some place within the country? http://evi-med.com.pl/en/ptaki/346-zestaw-7-zestaw-do-kaplonowania-kogutow.html

Been thinking about learning to caponize for awhile and it seems like finding the right tools might take longer than learning to do the job itself!

Thanks for any inf

First problem I see is getting your husband to help. I've been married to the same wife for going on 4 decades. I will tell you that in all that time there was only one occurrence that ended with us both wanting not to be married to each other. I asked her to help me bleed the brakes on a 69 VW beetle. I can't see where making capons is much different. There are 2 ways to make this a one person operation. If you have a barrel of some type drill 2 holes through the top far enough apart to lay the bird inbetween. Take 2 pieces of cord and tie something heavy enough to it that the birds can't overpower it and flop around. Insert the free ends through the holes in the top of the barrel. These ends are what are attached to the birds legs and both wings. At this point the weights should be suspended in the air. The other way is too make a bow. I've experimented with different stuff and have found the grey pvc is the best. Attach a cord to either end and attach the to the bird. The tension in the bow holds the bird still. I'm using a heavy strip of velcro around the legs and wings and then attaching the cords with an s hook.

Did you withhold food and water for 24 hours. This empties the gut making it easier to find the testicles.

So Ive done everything except the actual act. my broilers are just getting large enough to consider doing it. I want to wait a bit more until they are at least single serving size. Going to practice on a dead one first that I can eat later.

I had my first go at caponizing 3 seven week old males this morning. Hubby 'helped' a little with holding them still and shining a light. No deaths at least but I didn't get full capons either.

The first one I went in from both sides...Couldn't find anything very well on the left side so I went in from the right and it was nice and easy to see. I only got one testes on that one and I was a nervous wreck. Hands shaking and hubby whining and not shining the light into the body well. So I wrapped that one up knowing I'd have a slip.

Had to take a short 5 minute break to bring down my nerves.

The next one I went in through the right side first to see if I could have better luck. I got the first one out in pieces. Then as I was looking for the second one I nicked something and it started bleeding, but it lived so I stopped while he was still with us.

The third one went smoother, but still only found one testes I was able to get. I probably should have flipped it over and tried from the other side but Hubby was in full blown 'I'm done' mode so I had to stop there.

I think I will just get a head lamp and some better tie downs so I can do it myself so I don't have to feel pressure to get it over with.

This was a learning experience and I think my next round of roos will go a bit better. I definitely need to figure out how to do it myself since my 'helper' wasn't as helpful as I wished. Also need to figure out why I'm only finding one on the right side and not seeing the other one. I guess the intestines are in the way and I just need to go in from both sides until I figure out where things are located.

Attachments

• caponscaponizing07bice.pdf
    763.9 KB · Views: 13
I used bungees with water bottles as weights on each tie down end to hold the wings and legs, but they were still squirmy. I also made sure they were empty by holding food for 36 hours and water for 12. It was just not real obvious if I was getting the testes on top or if I was getting the bottom one and had moved/missed the top one.
I think I did OK considering this was my first attempt. I've only 'opened' up dead eviscerated chickens from the grocery before doing the real thing so I had no real understanding (other than the pics that were posted by others) of what I would be looking at when I went in to a live one. When I nicked the blood vessel on the second one it was in and around the intestines. The cavity was filling up with blood and knew I wouldn't be able to find anything very well afterward. So I let it lay there and made sure it didn't expire because if it did I would have just flipped it over and tried it on the other side. Since it seemed to be OK I let it down and didn't want to push my luck.
The last one got the one testes and I did look around a bit and think I pulled out part of another, but I was getting the 'I'm done' from hubby and I was also getting hot (it was 80-81 already). So we'll see about that one.
I feel pretty good at this point to not lose any chickens and call that a win. I will try again probably next weekend with a few more and think I will be a little more prepared if I need to go it alone. Just got to purchase/find a few items that I've seen others use here for this next bunch.
I also need to be a little better organized with where i put things on the table cause part of the time I kept losing the tool I needed. I shouldn't use a big towel to cover the chicken's face - it kept it calm at least. Maybe next time I should go with an old adult sock and then my tools won't go missing in the folds of the towel.
I'd like to see a picture of your PVC setup if you are so inclined to post a pic.

Maybe next time I should go with an old adult sock and then my tools won't go missing in the folds of the towel.
I'd like to see a picture of your PVC setup if you are so inclined to post a pic.

I think you did great!!! Your husband didn't nickname 007 did he. I like the sock idea. As far as the bow, it's not special or anything. SOmething I mcgivered. Next time I'm outside with phone I will snap a pic. I'd like to get one of those kids bow and arrow toys. I think that would be the best. A piece of grey pvc with cord duct taped at one end. I attach the cord to the wings and then the feet, or vice versa. Haven't done it enough times to tell if one is better than the other. The other end I drilled a hole through the pvc and threaded the cord through it. I draw that tight so there is tension in the pvc and put an overhand knot in it.

Good job / start Titan. There is a definate learning curve w/ this. Even when you don't fully succeed you still learn something each time that will make a difference in you technique or later success.

Back
Top Bottom