GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Tubal Ligation?
Somehow I feel like the ovary should be removed, if it is still there, it should still be producing hormones and she simply won't lay eggs (may internal lay??). I know in humans, if they cut the tube but leave the ovaries the hormones don't do anything strange but if they remove the ovaries then they go into menopause which is pretty much what you want with a pollard.

Somehow I feel like the ovary should be removed, if it is still there, it should still be producing hormones and she simply won't lay eggs (may internal lay??). I know in humans, if they cut the tube but leave the ovaries the hormones don't do anything strange but if they remove the ovaries then they go into menopause which is pretty much what you want with a pollard.
I thought that too, but this was covered way back in here somewhere. Apparently in chickens, if you cut a piece of the duct out, the ovary will not continue to develop. And removing the ovary led to much more bleeding and possible deaths.

Caponized 4 Bresse and 4 Marans today.......

I had a 16 week old Marans pullet that I was planning to sacrifice to learn the anatomy for poulardizing, but decided to give poulardizing a try since she was older than any of my attempts last year, but was not showing sexual development. Her ovary was easily identified right where you would expect the left testicle to be in a cockerel, but is larger and white. I could easily identify her oviduct laying up against the back with a large blood vessel underneath it. It was easy to loosen the oviduct, so I removed about an inch of it, the section closest to the ovary along with a piece of the lower pole of the ovary. With the anatomy identifiable, it was definitely easier than caponizing.

I think the key to the poulardizing is going to be finding the age at which the pullet is old enough to visualize the oviduct, but the ovary is not yet maturing. I think that age is going to vary according to the specific breeds and their age at POL. The age recommended in the literature is 12-14 weeks, but that was too early for me last year with the Marans crosses. The Bresse pullets are usually laying by 20 weeks, so I anticipate needing to poulardize them at a younger age than 16 weeks.

I have more Marans pullets the same age as the one today, so I may try to poulardize them this week.

It's going to be interesting to see if this pullet starts getting her " boy feathers" in the next few weeks.
I found this post on poulardizing. There are some clues here for sure. Anyway I wanted to bring it to the top or bottom or wherever we are, to make it easier to find.

I would love to see the video.....let use know if you get it.

I have spoken to a caponizer in China, and they poulardize at 4 weeks. He said bleeding from the ovary is the biggest issue at that age because it is removed. All of the literature that I have read from the US discusses performing the procedure at 12-14 weeks so that a piece of oviduct including the portion next to the ovary is removed rather than the ovary itself. The literature states that removing that portion of the oviduct will prevent the ovary from developing. I am planning to dispatch a couple of pullets at that age to open and learn the anatomy, then see if I can successfully poulardize that way. As you know, it is supposed to be easier than caponizing once you learn how. I have 10 week old pullets so hopefully I will be doing it in a couple of weeks.
Here’s another one.

It is recommended that the peritoneum....the membrane that is supposed to be cut open for caponizing...not be disturbed in a pullet so that scar tissue doesn't form around the ovary and oviduct, which can result in an internal layer. So if you aren't planning to try to poulardize the pullets, I wouldn't attempt to caponize anything that I wasn't 99% sure was male.

The pullet in my photos was going to be butchered, not raised for eggs. That is why I went ahead and opened the peritoneum....even though I could see the ovary. That's when I realized that I could get some decent photos of the anatomy.

Back
Top Bottom