GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kassaundra, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    I got a Table Mate adjustable table for Christmas. The surface can be disinfected quickly and easily, and I can adjust the height of the table and the angle as well. It's lightweight and portable, and I can use it sitting down or standing up. Using Kassaundra's ribbon with loops between two fabric-covered hair ties, I can secure any sized bird to the table. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Yes, definitely an exciting week!!!! Can't wait..... [​IMG]

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    What does everyone on here use as a rib spreader? The piece of junk that comes in the kit from the hatcheries is worthless. Kept popping off on me.

4. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    @brahmabreeder

Many of us have and are investing to a Chinese caponizing kit. @Poco Pollo has ordered them for many of us. It has a retractor made specifically for caponizing young cockerels as young as 3 weeks, which is when they perform the procedure. The cost of the kit with shipping/handling is around $35, if memory serves me correctly. I believe she is getting an order together for the January 15. You can PM her to find out if you are interested.

If you go back a few pages on this thread, you will find photos of the kit along with discussions about it. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. LindaB220

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    [​IMG] I got my package. I got my package. Love you, Coral. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks!

7. Jucknath

Jucknath Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    I have the kit ordered also. Presently I am using a weitlaner 4" retractor 2x3 blunt fingers. Do an ebay search (I cannot paste the link). I agree the one in the kit I have is terrible.

8. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I have used a weitlaner retractor as well. My only complaint with mine is the profile of the "blades" if you will is less than I would have liked so getting them between the ribs causes discomfort to the bird that I would like to avoid, especially in the smaller birds.

The flat profile of the Chinese set will allow for caponizing younger birds. I had a rather lengthy discussion with one of the Chinese caponizers, and they actually make their incision just below the bottom rib rather than between the lower two to avoid a cracked rib in the 3 week old birds. Of course they are able to get both testicles from one side as well.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    On one of the Spanish sites, I saw a music stand used. The specific sort seems to be a rather new model of tripod music stand (I never saw this kind until recently) that has a lot of holes that allow attachment of the bird in whatever location desired. I think the other reason they were using a music stand is that it is adjustable to get light on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PMS1...8&qid=1388704223&sr=8-16&keywords=music+stand

Referring to some posts above, I freaked out the first time I saw it done.

One question - how many hours to withhold feed and how many hours to withhold feed have you folks found to be optimal?

10. LindaB220

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Nice looking stand. And the price is great. Best investment I ever made was buying this sites Prime. $69 yr and shipping on most is free. I've made my money back several times. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by