GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kassaundra, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    That is what I did.....repurposed a camera tripod, then attached a platform. with multiple mug hooks on the back that I could use to adjust the tension. It works great!

As far as withholding feed and water, I take it away the night before, but some go longer, especially if the birds are older, and the weather isn't really hot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Jucknath

Jucknath Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    I have thought about trying the incision below the bottom rib. I think that I would do an internal stitching at least the first few times. Always learning.

3. Jucknath

Jucknath Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    I have been withholding food for 36 and water for 24 hours. I start when I put them up at night so I begin in the morning. On some 3 month birds, I tried 24 and 12 and the guts were not empty. I am still a beginner.

1 person likes this.
  4. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Food 24, water 12 works for me. Cage 'em on wire so that they can't pick bedding and poo. Longer than 24 and mine start picking feathers.

1 person likes this.
  5. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    I forgot to mention that I simply let mine have their crumbles the day before surgery, and withhold any grain for about 36-48 hours if they are getting it because it digests more slowly. For Saturday procedure, scratch Thursday am, crumbles till Friday afternoon, water till Friday evening. Procedures usually start around noon. I'm sure mine are probably not empty, but they don't seem to be in the way, so I guess it works.[​IMG] Now the poulardizing needs a longer fast because you are going further down in the abdomen to look for the oviduct.

6. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    Hey, MD.....still got that BA capon?

7. Maggiesdad

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    LOL - Yup! We've been eating a lot of pig since slaughter back in late Nov... got to get chicken back on the menu! [​IMG]

8. BCMaraniac

Mar 27, 2013
    [​IMG]Mine is still kicking too, but I hadn't planned to butcher him for a while. I've got some hatchery capons and some fat laying poulard attempts that gotta go too.

9. Maggiesdad

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    I'll post up when the deed is done!

1 person likes this.
  10. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Thanks for letting me know it arrived. U.S.P.S. is doing a great job!

We've got thirteen days until I place the next order. Send me a PM if you'd like to be part of the order or if you have questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by