GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Pics
I am horrible about keeping track of age (even for my own) but I think they are around 5 months.
Yeah, your NN is ready for the chopping block......the other one, I can't tell....does he have much in the wattle department? I don't see much, but it may be the photo. Usually with my slips, I see the reddening start in the wattles, then move to the comb. I have had a couple that go from pale to pinker, but not really enlargement. I haven't been ready to call them a slip. It seems to me that a little uniform pigmentation increase doesn't always mean the bird is a slip. But that's just me......

Don't worry about the slip. Maybe he isn't a fancy Christmas dinner, but he isn't lacking in value (until he is allowed to chase hens LOL). It's a matter of cooking. I would probably cut up a slip and use him in a soup with potatoes, onions, spices, and whatever other vegetables you want. There are plenty of appropriate dinners coming up now that the holiday season is over. If you can get raw milk, it's great for tenderizing _slightly_ tough meat, along with a bit of meat tenderizer. Otherwise, try buttermilk. He's still young, so the meat should be good, slow-cooked. I've had meal success with intact Roo rested overnight in raw milk with a bit of meat tenderizer and then slow-cooked for 3.5 to 4 hours. Slip should be better.
Well guess I'm going to give in and admit (to myself) this guy is a slip The uploaded out of order the NN is the slip the EE not sure which one I got the pic of (two are identical one known slip one shouldn't be) but this guy shouldn't have been a slip either. When I process him I will be looking specifically for his jewels to see what happened.

Don't worry about the slip. Maybe he isn't a fancy Christmas dinner, but he isn't lacking in value (until he is allowed to chase hens LOL).

It's a matter of cooking. I would probably cut up a slip and use him in a soup with potatoes, onions, spices, and whatever other vegetables you want. There are plenty of appropriate dinners coming up now that the holiday season is over.

If you can get raw milk, it's great for tenderizing _slightly_ tough meat, along with a bit of meat tenderizer. Otherwise, try buttermilk. He's still young, so the meat should be good, slow-cooked.

I've had meal success with intact Roo rested overnight in raw milk with a bit of meat tenderizer and then slow-cooked for 3.5 to 4 hours. Slip should be better.
@Ruthster55

I have actually roasted some of my slips and they have been quite good. The quality of the meat is good. A little firmer perhaps, but very good. I think the key to the slips is to process them as soon as you realize they are slips. After they are caponized they grow like an immature cockerel, and then as the testicle regenerates, the secondary sex characteristics then develop.........kinda like a delayed puberty. But what that does is give them a chance to get bigger, yet still retain the tenderness of a younger bird.

I've had a few requests to hold a small capon clinic. I think this is a great idea, and if we have it here at the farm, we can keep costs really, really low. For those who are too far away to make the trip, let me know your thoughts about holding a clinic closer to you this summer. Send me a PM.

In Haskell, Oklahoma, Kassaundra and I will be caponizing on Sunday, March 16th. We would like to invite six people to join us to learn to use the Chinese capon tools. By keeping the group small, Kassaundra and I can work with each person, making sure participants are comfortable with each step. For people who want to practice one more day, Monday, March 17th, send me a PM and I'll let you know what might work.

If you don't have a set of tools, I'll loan a set for the clinic. If you like what you've used, you can buy the set on clinic day.

For those who want to bring their own birds to caponize, let me know how many and what ages. I'll need to set up a cage for your birds to recuperate in, and we'll need to separate your work station from the rest for bio-security reasons. Also, we'll need to make special arrangements so that you prepare your birds (fasting times, etc.) the same way the chicks are prepared here so that we don't have any surprises.

For those who want to save the hassle of bringing chicks, male chicks, 5 - 6 weeks old, will be available for what it costs me to purchase them. I need to know how many you're wanting to be sure we have enough. The breeds I'll provide are barred rock, buff rock, and naked neck. The chicks will be ordered from Ideal Hatchery in Texas, so they will have an NPIP number if that's something you require.

If you want to bring your own disinfection supplies, that's fine, I just need to know. If you want a surgical pack that will include Betadyne, cotton swabs, scissors, etc., then one can be provided to you for a small cost. I need to check prices and figure out exactly what needs to be in each surgical pack before I quote a price.

Here's the part I agonized over: how much to charge for a day of instruction. Somewhere between forty and fifty dollars per person for a day's worth of instruction sounds right to me.

If you'd like to join us on Sunday, March 16th, to learn to caponize using Chinese capon tools, please send me a PM. Planning starts today, so if you have ideas or suggestions, now is a good time to speak up. Thanks
yippiechickie.gif

Man, I'd love to. No transportation. I sold my car when I moved in with DD and up to now have never needed one. Bummer.
he.gif

Man, I'd love to. No transportation. I sold my car when I moved in with DD and up to now have never needed one. Bummer.
he.gif
Let DD take you, drop you off, and find something else to do for the day.....then pick you back up.....then you spring for the gas and a hotel room for the night if need be......would that work?

Back
Top Bottom