GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

The sad part of the whole thing is that when he went to butcher the cockerels, he accidentally butchered the pullet!
Here's your SIGN
smack.gif

Good stuff. Keep it up. I'm feeling a lot more confident about this after hearing about the workshop and experiences and pictures. My babies came today so I've got a few weeks to ponder.
tongue2.gif

Except I just remembered I'm left handed. so backwards?
Linda, I am left handed too, so I am guessing that I will be holding the tool in my left hand and the string in the right. If you are somewhat ambidextrous, then you could probably do it either way. I will probably see what feels more comfortable.

I hope its ok if I ask a question! Will a regular vet caponize an adult rooster?Would it help a naughty rooster be nice?I have a pet Rooster that has been not so nice! I don't really want to serve him for dinner!
hit.gif

I hope its ok if I ask a question! Will a regular vet caponize an adult rooster?Would it help a naughty rooster be nice?I have a pet Rooster that has been not so nice! I don't really want to serve him for dinner!
hit.gif
Adult roosters can be caponized. The sad reality about vets is they have little to no experience with caponization. Those that do will often charge upwards of $200 to do it, I have heard. It is much more risky to caponize a rooster. Is there an experienced caponizer in your area? I would think that would be a better option. If you are planning to have to process it because of its behavior, then it would be reasonable to at least TRY to caponize him if you can find someone to do it. The worst that would happen is that he would not survive the surgery, but he was going to have to be butchered if he isn't caponized. A successful caponization would in all likelihood help with his behavior.

Last edited:
hit.gif

Most vets will not do it at all. They usually don't have the experience in actual caponizing since they want to sedate and that leads to very expensive procedure and poor outcomes (sedation is very dangerous on fowl of all kinds) so they don't do them often. I know of a woman she posts sometimes on this thread that took her big roos to a vet at a college and they all died.

Even w/ a capable caponizer, doing the procedure on an adult roo is much more dangerous, however if done successfully it will modify the roos behavior.

W O W -- doing some catch up reading and you all have really been busy. Been MIA for a while now and was having a shoulder rebuilt about the time y'all were having the clinic. A Capon Clinic. Ah'ight, how cool was that. I would have loved to been there. Kudos to all that made it happen and congratulations to those that were able to be there and participate. What an invaluable opportunity for a beginning practitioner to experience. Nice to see input from a growing list of regular posters as well. In our own case here interest is growing through word-of-mouth discussions with 6 at present requesting capon tool sets. Will be a bit of time yet before I can rejoin the fun but glad I'm able to at least catch up on what all has been going on. Capon on my friends, Capon on!

The capon clinic was a huge success. It was 100% poco's "baby" I helped out in the mentoring. The students did awesome and Deb is even having success w/ mostly grown boys, I am so impressed w/ that.

She (poco) has been awesome in providing a way for people across the country to get the Chinese tools too, through her contact.

The capon clinic was a huge success. It was 100% poco's "baby" I helped out in the mentoring. The students did awesome and Deb is even having success w/ mostly grown boys, I am so impressed w/ that.

She (poco) has been awesome in providing a way for people across the country to get the Chinese tools too, through her contact.
Here is a link of the guy working on the "older" bird. You can see better how he used the "string-tool". It is apparent, this is "normal" activity there. The young lady has the custom basket for transport (I really like baskets made from splits) and she simply gathers her charge and heads off after the procedure. While he, gathers his things and rides off for his next appt.

http://www.56.com/u57/v_OTY0MzE1OTA.html

Back
Top Bottom