GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I've sent PMs to five people who asked about getting tools. If you did not get a PM but asked to be included in the April order, please send me a PM soon. I will be placing the April order this weekend. Keep reading, though. You may want to buy direct. See below.

A friend sent a couple of links that folks can use for comparison and contrast before confirming they want in on the April order. The product price is higher, but the site says no shipping charges to the U.S. Since I've never ordered from these folks, I can't say what kind of shopping experience you'll have. Reviews, though few, are good. Here are the links:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/caponizing-kit-for-cockerel/735970891.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/caponizing-kit-for-rooster/736253610.html

For comparison/contrast - the cockerel set at this site is the same as the single set. The rooster set is one half (the larger half) of the double set.

I've moved all my little barred rock capons to a pen with grass. They're ecstatic. I'm concerned that they will all go to sleep tonight with huge crops and aching tummies. No infection in the lot. Five had recurring wind puffs, but I didn't have to adjust the girth on any of the birds today. I've got some juvenile birds to work on next weekend.

Thanks Poco, I just love looking at the sites. Wonder if they are as good with customer service as the others. Not my problem since I've already got the set.
big_smile.png

I have 't been on in a few days and it took a while to catch up.

bbsnooks, you have been busy! Wish I was there to be helping you. I haven't done any more but the 5 I did at the clinic are fine and almost healed.

My hens are just starting to lay so, I will fire up the incubator next week. I guess I should get a few from an action to stay in practice.

Charley, did you happen to grab one with a green zip tie?' There was an extra blue zip tie and 1 green one short. It's ok, I only wanted to know to keep track if he was a slip or not. I didn't feel like I got all of the testicle on 1 of mine and I don't know which one it was. I have the other 4 green ones.

I hope you guys decide to have another training clinic soon. You had a lot of work to put this together. Lots of good information here, but nothing is like hands-on experience! I would like to do this sometime. I would like to learn this then pass it on here in the southeast.
caf.gif

I have some new Bresse chicks that we hatched. Next year we will breed these, and hope to develop a program similar to the traditional French (Capons).

I hope you guys decide to have another training clinic soon. You had a lot of work to put this together. Lots of good information here, but nothing is like hands-on experience! I would like to do this sometime. I would like to learn this then pass it on here in the southeast.
caf.gif

I have some new Bresse chicks that we hatched. Next year we will breed these, and hope to develop a program similar to the traditional French (Capons).
I think this is a great idea! I bought eight American Bresse chicks recently, and they are all growing well. I hope to cross mine with my largest NNs, and I will keep some pure. Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote: Cool, it would definitely be more fun to have someone else on a similar project. The Bresse finished hatching today. I ended up with 9. It will be necessary to use as many as possible for breeding at first. That gives me a little while to learn the Caponizing process and get to be proficient. The Bresse are supposed to be good layers as well. (5-6 eggs a week) Hatching eggs I received weighed 56 to 68 grams. So good Dual Purpose breed.
clap.gif

I have 't been on in a few days and it took a while to catch up.

bbsnooks, you have been busy! Wish I was there to be helping you.
I wish you were too.. I certainly had my hands full..
and even the dog is stepping lightly after last week.

I think this is a great idea! I bought eight American Bresse chicks recently, and they are all growing well. I hope to cross mine with my largest NNs, and I will keep some pure. Keep us posted on your progress.
First time plucker.. here.. and i can certainly see the benefits of a NN X with any thing.. to give a minimal plucking job on Capons..

Quote: K - I had clear.. zip's like coco < only on opposite legs> sorry hope you find him..

Glad to report that air puffs are minimal now.. and all getting along fine. and now integrated. / with the other capons..
Most are staying close to coop and have some "friends" from the flock that are staying with them.. inside.
Many have either forgotten or forgiven me.. and will eat Fermented Feed from the spoon holder / dipper.
THis lets me get an up close look at them and check their mobility and air puffs and incision. Incision still looks ugly with out stiches.. but seem to be healing up ok..
the Andalusian Blue.. was Flaring neck feathers with an EE roo this am.. so.. he's healing up.. but not changing behavior yet.. but its only a few days..
TTFN

Back
Top Bottom