GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Good and bad weekend for me. Made 5 more capons (last batch of chicks we incubated). Current season count is roughly 30 roos - with 6 deaths. Not that great of success rate, but learning.

Now for the bad part - lost 2 of my oldest backyard capons. No sigh of fowl play - think they eat themselves to death. They only left the food trough for water it seemed. Born 5/30, caponized 7/12 (7 weeks), died 8/31 (14 weeks).

Can't you get a vet to do it?
We'd be charged with animal cruelty in the UK if we did what you are doing
And you are banned from keeping animals for anything from one year to life

No most vets won't work on a bird at all. It would be much more dangerous for the vet to do it, as they want to anesthetize the bird, which is extremely dangerous for birds. It would be cost prohibitive for meat reasons, a vet would likely charge $100 to 200 per bird, something a person might consider for a pet, like spaying or neutering, but not for meat. Ksane attempted a local vet and lost all but one bird she took, and the one that survived wasn't even caponized. When she attempted w/ just a capon class her survival and success rate were MUCH higher then the vets w/ only a couple of hours of training. Others on here have higher success and survival rate even w/o hands on training.

We have no such laws. (at least for meat animals)

Last edited:
You'd think it would be a good career move to become a chicken vet!
Its useless here too, luckily we are in a rural farming area so my vet does prescribe for chickens
But I don't think they see many as she wanted feedback on how my chickens were doing.

Are they awake when you operate!!! .?

You'd think it would be a good career move to become a chicken vet!
Its useless here too, luckily we are in a rural farming area so my vet does prescribe for chickens
But I don't think they see many as she wanted feedback on how my chickens were doing.

Are they awake when you operate!!! .?

Yes, it is far to dangerous to them to anesthetize them. I have done and been present when others have done many, many birds, and truly they mind the feather plucking more then the actual procedure. If they see food while doing the procedure they will actually eat during it if they can reach the food.

The exception to the above statement is leghorns, they get soooooo upset being restrained they are hard to complete w/o endangering the bird.

I can see this being a fact! My Leghorns have been crazy flighty, and thus far I have only had the females! Even my hens would fight and squawk until I let them go or they broke something!

The exception to the above statement is leghorns, they get soooooo upset being restrained they are hard to complete w/o endangering the bird.

Well, that answered my question. I have 12 cockerels that are Crested Cream Legbar cock over White Leghorns. Too much leghorn in the mix. I know that they aren't as flighty as a leghorn but I don't think I'll chance it. Bummer. Thoughts?
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom