GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I figured 100 years ago someone that was good making capons made some spending by caponizing others chickens.Dont know about the legal aspect of it.I would be willing to do it if I was skilled at it.The problem is that you need early sexing of chicks and food withheld for the right amount of time.I think it would be better off to trading Capons for roosters maybe 2 or 3 roosters for 1 capon.

The deed may well be done by now but I have to wonder about icing. Do you think it truly has benefits? If it turns out to actually help the bird, it might be worth considering.

I know you have a lot of birds to do...I'll wait for your final report.

Good Luck

RON

Yeah it's long done. Not quite so successful a day as I would have hoped, I think due to the fact that 3 of the 5 were bantams, and a 4th was a very stunted standard, not any bigger than a bantam... and I also miscaluclated their ages, they were at least 1 month older than I thought... I need to start keeping a better calender! I ended up with 2 successes, 1 death (not a bleed out that I could tell... maybe shock killed him?), 1 which I chickened out on (just too attached to risk it... he was either the son or half-brother of my hen who is basically my kid and looks sooo much like her it freaked me out!), the other one I got 1 teste out but for the life of me couldn't find the other! Crazy...

I think the ice helps with bleeding. Not sure about numbing so much, but on the bird I chickened out on I did so literally JUST before the cut... he had been iced for 20 mins and when I set him back on his feet he couldn't stand on the iced side at all for about half an hour... so clearly it affected the nerves in some way, I think it numbed them but there's just no way to be completely sure. But with bleeding it definitely helps! On 3 of the birds I had to go in on both sides... the iced side barely bled, the non-iced side was much harder to staunch and bled considerably more.

Sometimes just pressure will help. I just carry them around as I am in the yard. It helps to push the air out. They should stop puffing after a couple of days. Great job.

Thanks! The first two air puffed but mostly stopped after one expelling. The other one keeps puffing, I've been peeling the very bottom of the scab off, just enough to allow air to escape. It's been getting better each day so far though.

Yeah it's long done. Not quite so successful a day as I would have hoped, I think due to the fact that 3 of the 5 were bantams, and a 4th was a very stunted standard, not any bigger than a bantam... and I also miscaluclated their ages, they were at least 1 month older than I thought... I need to start keeping a better calender! I ended up with 2 successes, 1 death (not a bleed out that I could tell... maybe shock killed him?), 1 which I chickened out on (just too attached to risk it... he was either the son or half-brother of my hen who is basically my kid and looks sooo much like her it freaked me out!), the other one I got 1 teste out but for the life of me couldn't find the other! Crazy...

I think the ice helps with bleeding. Not sure about numbing so much, but on the bird I chickened out on I did so literally JUST before the cut... he had been iced for 20 mins and when I set him back on his feet he couldn't stand on the iced side at all for about half an hour... so clearly it affected the nerves in some way, I think it numbed them but there's just no way to be completely sure. But with bleeding it definitely helps! On 3 of the birds I had to go in on both sides... the iced side barely bled, the non-iced side was much harder to staunch and bled considerably more.
You could save me some reading if you would, please. What breed(s) are you working with?

Thanks RON

You could save me some reading if you would, please. What breed(s) are you working with?

Thanks RON

Lots of different breeds... my first 3 last week were 1 EE/Jubilee Orp cross, 1 True Ameraucana cross, and 1 either Wyandotte or Plymouth Rock cross, all were pretty big and are doing very well now. Of this week's 5, 1 was a bantam WLR Cornish, 1 was a bantam Golden Laced Wyandotte (he was the one that didn't make it :( ), 1 was a Shamo cross (that was the one I chickened out on), 1 was a bantam Cochin/OEGB cross, and 1 was a Barred Plymouth Rock. All of these ones (save the Wyan. banty of course) seem to be doing quite well, especially the one that didn't have surgery of course... lol.

Last edited:
Lots of different breeds... my first 3 last week were 1 EE/Jubilee Orp cross, 1 True Ameraucana cross, and 1 either Wyandotte or Plymouth Rock cross, all were pretty big and are doing very well now. Of this week's 5, 1 was a bantam WLR Cornish, 1 was a bantam Golden Laced Wyandotte (he was the one that didn't make it :( ), 1 was a Shamo cross (that was the one I chickened out on), 1 was a bantam Cochin/OEGB cross, and 1 was a Barred Plymouth Rock. All of these ones (save the Wyan. banty of course) seem to be doing quite well, especially the one that didn't have surgery of course... lol.

Thank you... I never tried to work with a bantam. Seems like it might be pretty tough seeing things...unless you're caponizing an older bird but even then, it could be tough for me. I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other...literally.

I use a jewelers loop (sorta') and a small head lamp.

Thanks again.

Thank you... I never tried to work with a bantam. Seems like it might be pretty tough seeing things...unless you're caponizing an older bird but even then, it could be tough for me. I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other...literally.

I use a jewelers loop (sorta') and a small head lamp.

Thanks again.
Bantams were definitely much tougher than the 3 standards I did my first day... glad most of the roos I have growing out right now are more of the big guys, various standard breeds crossed out with my Jubilee Orp roo.

There was definitely not a lot of space to work in. I think in the future I will most likely be sticking to standards and only doing bantams in special circumstances...

Back
Top Bottom