GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Hello everyone

I have been studing and reading about Caponizing for months.
Then I found this website. I have read 95% of this monster thread.
My thanks go out to Kassandra for starting this topic, and so may other
contributors. At this point I am confident I understand the procedure and the risks.

Poco Pollo was kind enough to order me and my Caponizing partner 2 doubles
sets of Chinese tools. Compared to the other junk I have purchased, these are great.
I have purchased 15 Barred Rocks males to learn the procedure.

I plan to wait until they are at least 5 or 6 weeks old. They are 2 weeks old now.
In the mean time I will continue to read all of this thread and finish compiling a procedure
manual with picture for my personal use.

Thanks to all those who have answered my question via PM.
Every one has bees so kind and willing to help.

Best regards

Donald

Last edited:
As far as charging goes, I sell capons, but don't offer the service out.

It seems the Underground Caponizers are expanding LOL, you've started a support community @Kassaundra

That was the hope when I first started the thread, but really it would never have happened w/o @Poco Pollo , and all of you guys. I had seen several "capon" threads flamed out of existence by haters stirring trouble, this core group has managed to not rise to the baiting.

Hello everyone

contributors. At this point I am confident I understand the procedure and the risks.

sets of Chinese tools. Compared to the other junk I have purchased, these are great.

I plan to wait until they are at least 5 or 6 weeks old. They are 2 weeks old now.
In the mean time I will continue to read all of this thread and finish compiling a procedure

Best regards

Donald

I am always humbled when I hear people joining BYC just b/c of our little thread. Look forward to hearing about your successes to come.

@QueenMisha I am intiriqued by your icing technique. The pathophysiology of it is sound, for both bleeding control and pain control. As children self piercing ears the same concept of the ice cube to the ear before the needle. The ice has it's own discomfort for sure, but as long as it isn't left on long enough to freeze or damage the birds tissues, and if you are doing few enough at a time not to be concerned w/ the extra time it takes. I also think for those especially wanting to do an older "special" pet boy, that could give you the extra wiggle room to make a difference in success w/ the older boys.

how much r u selling Ur capons for?
Depending on breed and age and number buyer wants, between $15 and $25 thus far. As I get more into specilized breeds they will cost a bit more for the eye candy and novelty!
Hello everyone

Best regards

Donald
I look forward to seeing your progress. This is such a suportive and engaging group.
That was the hope when I first started the thread, but really it would never have happened w/o @Poco Pollo , and all of you guys. I had seen several "capon" threads flamed out of existence by haters stirring trouble, this core group has managed to not rise to the baiting.
Poco certainly deserves much credit here. I tell people that ask about the skill itself, that I was just blessed to live close enough to a skilled teacher.
It can be difficult (for me at least LOL) not to give into the urge to educate the haters, but that's rarely what they are here for.....

I bought straight-run chicks at an auction recently. From experience, straight-run isn't 50/50; it's more like 90/10, so I have plenty of male chicks. This is my way of saying, "We need to have another capon clinic!" I'm going to set everything up for September 13th (2nd Sunday in September). The clinic will be here at the farm in Haskell, OK. We'll work from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. If you'd like to attend, please send me a PM. I'll reply with the information regarding location, price, agenda, etc. Below are the little tykes from the auction. They all went into the same brooder when I got home from the auction, and the next morning they were split into smaller groups. This is proof that only having one brooder ready for chicks doesn't stop a person from buying too many.
roll.png

I had someone ask recently what I do with all my capons. Most go into the freezer, but some develop hen-like personalities, and those usually get to stay. I still have several capons that were "included for warmth" with an order of pullets: live packing peanuts. The most docile is Allen. Capons are great tick eaters, and they don't make any noise, so I've kept special capons for bug patrol rather than trying to keep guineas on the property.

I bought straight-run chicks at an auction recently. From experience, straight-run isn't 50/50; it's more like 90/10, so I have plenty of male chicks. This is my way of saying, "We need to have another capon clinic!" I'm going to set everything up for September 13th (2nd Sunday in September). The clinic will be here at the farm in Haskell, OK. We'll work from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. If you'd like to attend, please send me a PM. I'll reply with the information regarding location, price, agenda, etc. Below are the little tykes from the auction. They all went into the same brooder when I got home from the auction, and the next morning they were split into smaller groups. This is proof that only having one brooder ready for chicks doesn't stop a person from buying too many.
roll.png

I had someone ask recently what I do with all my capons. Most go into the freezer, but some develop hen-like personalities, and those usually get to stay. I still have several capons that were "included for warmth" with an order of pullets: live packing peanuts. The most docile is Allen. Capons are great tick eaters, and they don't make any noise, so I've kept special capons for bug patrol rather than trying to keep guineas on the property.

Allen is handsome, umm beautiful ;) or both lol!

Back
Top Bottom