GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Don't beat yourself up. You did well. Every time you caponize you're building skills: sometimes it's learning what not to do, but it's all learning.

I've got a pen full of teeny weeny light Brahma boys. They won't be ready for caponizing for six more weeks. I'm hoping the breed will put on some nice fat once caponized.

My Brahma capons look great when filled out. The precedure fills the breast nicely. These project boys will be gorgeous, I will post some pics later.
Thanks for the pep talk, I definitely learned that it is better to put it off than to go through with it without the right tools. DH found my cord so I will try again this weekend with the other Project boy. If I am brave enough, I want to try an older Brahma (he is about 4 months, not crowing yet) that changed sex on me over night!

Today I worked on some seven week old chicks.
I'm getting better each time I try this! Still too slow, but faster than I had been. Last year when we first tried caponizing, neither one of us could get past cutting the skin without freaking out and quitting. Today I got two full capons and three half capons. I also think I got a pollard done properly. Time will tell on that little one. This is a bunch of mixed parentage mutts, but the pollard looked exactly like another chick who turned out to be a cockerel (now full capon).

My hands don't shake anymore. When a chick has a little freak out I remain calm. AND I think I've finally worked out a restraint system that works pretty well.
celebrate.gif

I caponized this guy a bit late, I think he was 14 weeks or so. He was crowing and mating when I did him. He had some ENORMOUS testes.he has stopped mating and only crows a little bit in the mornings...my question is...shouldn't his wattles and comb have shrunk by now? He was done early August.

Last edited:
I caponized this guy a bit late, I think he was 14 weeks or so. He was crowing and mating when I did him. He had some ENORMOUS testes.he has stopped mating and only crows a little bit in the mornings...my question is...shouldn't his wattles and comb have shrunk by now? He was done early August.

August has basically just past. Give him time. Sounds like he's on the right track since he had already begun covering hens. Results won't be overnight.

Thanks. Just freaking out a little that he is a slip. I THOUGHT I got it all, but since he was the first one, who knows. Since he has greatly changed his behavior from a sex crazed teenager, I think I got it all. The wattles were just nagging at me. I am not supposed to have roosterss...

Last edited:
Thanks. Just freaking out a little that he is a slip. I THOUGHT I got it all, but since he was the first one, who knows. Since he has greatly changed his behavior from a sex crazed teenager, I think I got it all. The wattles were just nagging at me. I am not supposed to have roosterss...

Well, for what it's worth, he's no longer a rooster. Technicality, I know....

The testicles are pretty obvious at that age. If I remember right, the big issues for older birds are the risk of bleeding to death, and the risk of the softer testicles breaking apart and dropping into the abdominal cavity. If you're pretty sure that didn't happen, then most likely you got it all.

That said, I've never caponized a bird this old yet. So maybe someone else with more experience will weigh in?

Well, for what it's worth, he's no longer a rooster. Technicality, I know.... 

The testicles are pretty obvious at that age. If I remember right, the big issues for older birds are the risk of bleeding to death, and the risk of the softer testicles breaking apart and dropping into the abdominal cavity. If you're pretty sure that didn't happen, then most likely you got it all.

That said, I've never caponized a bird this old yet. So maybe someone else with more experience will weigh in?

Hee hee. Yes no longer a rooster, technically. I cannot prove to the township proof of castration. However my stupid neighbor is not going to be easy to educate on the differences either. He flat out harassed the board of health about my hens. He lost
1f61d.png

Last edited:
Hee hee. Yes no longer a rooster, technically. I cannot prove to the township proof of castration. However my stupid neighbor is not going to be easy to educate on the differences either. He flat out harassed the board of health about my hens. He lost
1f61d.png

Take weekly photos of him. His comb should go down and be pinker and pinker as time goes by. THAT ought to be enough proof for a reasonable person. As for your neighbor.... Well... Seems like his type, living in their own skin is usually enough punishment. Y'know what I mean? :p

Back
Top Bottom