GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Just posing in, was active once upon a time in this thread.

Lost my old tools. Had bad luck replacing them from Alibaba-per seller due to postal regs-lost about $75 on that. Replaced with US tools, but they were terrible.

If you can get a new source, I really want a new complete set.

I ordered my set from Amazon, the rib spreader were a joke so i had to get a pair of 6 inch weitlander spreaders. I am so pleased with the quality and functionality. Honestly the only things I use from the "official caponizing kit" are the tweezers, blunt tool for moving intestines, and forceps for actual removal of the testicle. I've tried to use the elevator tool, but I've not had success with it.

Fantastic job!
I've never done it before so I can't help you with your questions,
I just wanted to congratulate you! I have a set of tools myself and really need to move forward in the learning process... you have given me a bit of impetus. Thanks!

You can do it! I tried to do one Barred Rock at 4 weeks old and it was too tough. The poor guy was so tiny I could hardly fit my tools in there. So I waited until 7 weeks, which seems to be PERFECT. My biggest hang up with going through the actual surgery was just the thought of doing this on a live bird, one i had hatched and raised so far. I was a bit shaky with my first incision but after a few deep breaths I was able to put my head to the task ans complete it. You've got it! The hardest one is the first one, or any that you accidentally lose. But it happens, it's a learning experience. You're giving these roos an opportunity to have longer, fuller lives!

I keep rolling this around in my head. On the one hand, I'd like to try capons (as far as eating them). On the other....my breed takes so long to mature I'd be afraid of caponizing some that I might have liked to keep for breeders. And do they not get tougher still after about 16 weeks when I usually cull anyway? Is there something magical about lack of testosterone that keeps them less tough? My family is not fond of chewy chicken at all.

I keep rolling this around in my head. On the one hand, I'd like to try capons (as far as eating them). On the other....my breed takes so long to mature I'd be afraid of caponizing some that I might have liked to keep for breeders. And do they not get tougher still after about 16 weeks when I usually cull anyway? Is there something magical about lack of testosterone that keeps them less tough? My family is not fond of chewy chicken at all.
Yes any time you castrate an animal the lack of testosterone makes the meat flavor, animal size and tenderness of the meat different. that is also why it's done to beef, pigs, sheep and goats also.

Back
Top Bottom