GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

243E1DB7-22EB-41F7-BB5C-25185E68A0EE.jpeg
DCAFEBBD-5AB2-49E9-9CA4-6B7E42D57792.jpeg
It’s been ages since I’ve been on the thread. School and our farm fill my days and evenings. I want to have a clinic this summer, but my guy in China has not answered recent email, so I may need to find a new supplier for tools. I have three cockerels staying with me now. They are older, so I took their right testicles early this week and will prep them again this weekend to do their left sides. Salmon faverolles have enormous man parts.

F3B8BB37-4F3F-44C5-A1B5-8655C2E8BDBA.jpeg E012E82A-3484-4EA7-B73F-7783DA01825C.jpeg The salmon faverolles developed wind puffs. His right hip was inflated, so I made a small incision after cleaning the skin. A gentle squeeze released the trapped air, so now he’s walking normally. I’ll start preping him for his left side Sunday or Monday. I want the right side skin completely healed before I open the left side. I use Vetricin on incision sites. I haven’t found anything that works better.

My old poultry book explains how to caponize. As I remember, it tells you how to get both testicles at once. One operation. One incision. Both testicles. I have never had the nerve to try it myself. I plan on getting a few Jersey Giants for pets this spring and I have been thinking about caponizing a cockerel or two. I'll have to dig out the book and see what it says. In any event, congratulations!!

My old poultry book explains how to caponize. As I remember, it tells you how to get both testicles at once. One operation. One incision. Both testicles. I have never had the nerve to try it myself. I plan on getting a few Jersey Giants for pets this spring and I have been thinking about caponizing a cockerel or two. I'll have to dig out the book and see what it says. In any event, congratulations!!
The older the bird, the harder the removal of his testicles is on him. If I see labored breathing, a blue tint appearing on the comb, or any other sign of stress, I err on the side of caution when I’m working on someone’s pets. Two surgeries over a period of two weeks means the pet owner gets his/her bird back, and not in a freezer bag. Good luck with your cockerels. I hope you are able to find someone close by with experience who can help you learn to caponize.

The older the bird, the harder the removal of his testicles is on him. If I see labored breathing, a blue tint appearing on the comb, or any other sign of stress, I err on the side of caution when I’m working on someone’s pets. Two surgeries over a period of two weeks means the pet owner gets his/her bird back, and not in a freezer bag. Good luck with your cockerels. I hope you are able to find someone close by with experience who can help you learn to caponize.
Just hauled out my book. My edition is from the middle '50's and it was written for the commercial producer. It says to caponize when the birds are two weeks old and the testicles are the size of a grain of wheat. I think this was before the CornishX were developed and caponizing was the way to go to produce a plump meat bird. It also has a section on using hormones to produce a meat bird instead of caponizing. This last was new to me.

Obviously, you are caponizing for different reasons and what is in my book does not really apply to you. Since you are caponizing an older bird the two incisions make a lot of sense. That's how they castrate elephants by the way and for the same reasons. (Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing that piece of useless information in). As for finding someone to teach me how to caponize, I think I am out of luck. I have yet to talk to anyone locally who has even heard of caponizing, let alone done it. How did you learn? Were you lucky enough to find someone to teach you, did you find a video, or did you just have a book in one hand and the chicken in the other and have at it? Anyway, I admire your courage.

Back
Top Bottom