Graphic Pics, Sorry. Predator ID?

BidDaddy

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
Honey Brook, PA
Hi All!
I went out this morning to find two piles of chicken feathers in the yard - one from our Ameracauna and one from Plymouth Barred Rock. I found the Ameracauna carcass in our front yard with a trail of white feathers as if it were chased or carried. No idea where the Barred Rock is resting but her feathers litter the entire yard. Please let me know what kind of predator this may have been. The chicken appears to have a snapped neck and a whole pretty much from the back to the front. It likely happened at dawn.

Attachments

• 380DEA8A-612D-42DD-B18B-949529B57F9F.jpeg
    380DEA8A-612D-42DD-B18B-949529B57F9F.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1F74666E-F866-4F9A-A4BB-D6963C08C853.jpeg
    1F74666E-F866-4F9A-A4BB-D6963C08C853.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1BFDAE2D-F433-46A7-9F15-A429E79CA124.jpeg
    1BFDAE2D-F433-46A7-9F15-A429E79CA124.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
What a gruesome sight to greet you. I'm sorry you've had to experience this. Do you have roaming dogs in your neighborhood? Dogs chase chickens and kill for sport and amusement, generally leaving the prey behind after they've had their morbid "fun". If you find the other chicken, this would confirm my suspicion.

No roaming dogs and no noise that we heard, from high is odd. This particular chicken looks like he was stabbed, which I understand to be from the hawk talons. Oh well.

I keep my chickens in a chicken tunnel during the day that runs about 100 feet. I only let them roam the entire yard when I am out there. A few times they have found a hole in the tunnel and gotten loose. That’s what happened this morning. Two got out and paid the ultimate price for it.
The Plymouth Barred Rock is now a pile of feathers. He was clearly plucked and eaten alive in full view of his coop mates. No remains of him have been found.
The second victim, an Ameracauna was found in our front yard, dead, with hole through him, front to back. I believe his neck was snapped too.
I’m pretty sure it was a hawk. I just find it odd that there wasn’t more noise. From what I read, the hawk would have come back for the carcass it left behind.

A red tail hawk and a great horned owl both weigh no more than 4 lbs.
A mature barred rock hen will weigh about 6 lbs.
What ever took your barred rock hen was not a hawk or owl as they can not lift off with something heavier than themself.
I have heard that some people have trouble with bald eagles taking chickens and they can weigh 6.6 to 14 lbs. I have plenty of bald eagles here and have never had a problem. Usually they are way high up and not focused on my chickens.
I recomend closely walking the parimiter of your chicken enclosure and reinforcing any gaps or weak areas. What ever it is will likely be back for more.

A red tail hawk and a great horned owl both weigh no more than 4 lbs.
A mature barred rock hen will weigh about 6 lbs.
What ever took your barred rock hen was not a hawk or owl as they can not lift off with something heavier than themself.
I have heard that some people have trouble with bald eagles taking chickens and they can weigh 6.6 to 14 lbs. I have plenty of bald eagles here and have never had a problem. Usually they are way high up and not focused on my chickens.
I recomend closely walking the parimiter of your chicken enclosure and reinforcing any gaps or weak areas. What ever it is will likely be back for more.
Thanks. I’ve walked the perimeter and tried to find any weaknesses. We have seen a few bald eagles over time. I share your sentiment that whatever it was will be back for more.
It seems like the Barred Rock was plucked clean and then eaten and/or carried away. I’ve read that this is a hallmark of a hawk attack.

Back
Top Bottom