I would love to post new pictures, but today she was faster than me, she pecked herself pretty good and I had to work quickly before more damage occurred xp ... She has new stuff also, and I'm a little worried this could mean the end of this journey.
Or, maybe I'm just wrapping her up too tight? Or she's wet from the antiseptic fluid too long? I can hope... Google has not been helpful for this entire scenario...
As of this morning, she has a fluid filled lump on the back of her neck, and it goes down into her chest area. It is only on her right chest/back of neck, and her wound is the left wing, which I find interesting. The wound doesn't look any different, better each day really, pink and scabbing around the skin edges. these cysts go down, I'll try to get pictures of the wing tomorrow.
chick1.jpg
chick3.jpg
chick.jpg

I don't know what these cysts/tumors are, is it from infection that I'm not seeing? The pictures don't show well, but I can see it has watery liquid inside, like a big blister. I assume that wrapping her up like I normally do is not helping. Today I only wrapped around her injured wing, then very loosely tied a piece of towel around her to keep her from pulling off the injury wrap. Her behavior hasn't changed any. She also used to fall a LOT, and I wonder if the fluid-sac could be from hitting the walls of her box too often? She isn't falling anymore, as of last night, in fact I'm watching her right now walk over to her water. She has much better control of her balance.
I'm off to work but I'll be getting supplies from walmart on the way home tonight...
I also ordered medical grade honey yesterday, should arrive tomorrow...
All my thanks again
-Raptorchick

Well, if it’s a “chicken thing,” I probably won’t guess it, so others will have to chime in. But it could really just be fluid collection from the massive trauma, that would be best case scenario. Does it smell bad? It’s normal for fluid to start collecting, and usually you would put a pressure wrap around it to minimalize fluid collection and help the body reabsorb it. If no one else had any ideas, maybe try doing a firm (not tight) wrap around her body. Maybe experiment with a large sock or stockings? If it’s infected then you already know it’s bad news, but don’t give up.
If you’re going to Walmart anyway, you should pick up some betadine. You mentioned using band-aid antiseptic or something, I’m not really sure what that is, but betadine is highly favored in medical cleansing.
Is she wet some the wound oozing or from the cleaning? If it’s draining a lot you might have to get rid of some feathers around the area.

Thank you Tesumph :) It doesn't smell, she's only wet from my cleaning solution. I found info on Seromas, and it doesn't sound life-threatening, she doesn't have any visible signs of infection. I'm breathing again :) I like the sock idea, and I'll grab some betadine tonight, thanks so much!
Of course! Don’t forget the pictures, I’m very curious to see how it heals.

Quick pic before bed.... since I left her side basically unwrapped today, she decided to clean up. I came home and found her scab-free on her legs, all the baby feathers showing, and her feathers all fluffed up :) Funny how she leaves the skin colored wrap alone. Will have pics of the wound bed tomorrow....View attachment 1407635
Well she is certainly looking good, her eyes are bright and the skin under the wing looks healthy, not swollen or inflamed. Still in awe of the courage it took for you to finish the amputation and clean up loose tissue!

Back
Top Bottom