Your "cysts" are entirely possibly hematomas from ripped blood vessels. They should eventually reabsorb as the body heals and processes everything. Are you seeing any skin regrowth back towards the nub yet in any way? She looks FANTASTIC from that previous picture. The wound itself will be the concerning point. I know a few others have had birds survive amputations traumatic or planned but I have no idea how the healing process presented. People are of course different than chickens and you definitely lack a sterile OR to do things in a manner I am used to. Take that all into consideration.

Betadine is a superficial antiseptic but we did use it for wound soak/washout in ER. Chlorhexidine is also for superficial antisepsis but not so much for internal-"paint" surrounding tissue to keep pathogen count down and reduce migration to the wounds. I believe blue kote is for superficial wounds but if it fits from a past similar experience and worked, use the hell out of it.

From my standpoint on the wound washout, if there is no organ involvement, and even just deep wounds/tears go with a sterile water/hydrogen peroxide/betadine mix around 50/25/25% when mixing. Debride vigorously and thoroughly with spray bottle or syringe and then keep sealed and covered in the fantastic manner you have done thus far. Seal anything with a triple antibiotic ointment to form a petroleum barrier (no lidocaine though) or even sterile honey if you can find it (others have used it with success and we use it for wound care in the hospital too!)

Many other ways and recommendations to do it but the peroxide will help "fizzle" out any lurking contaminents, the diluted betadine will help with continued antiseptic protection but the reduced concentration. Only problem with peroxide is it does slow down tissue healing which is why it is not used for wound care beyond debriding purposes any longer (in people). But if its what you have, use it.

IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
Thank you Xander! I thought I might try wrapping with gauze, because it breaths a little better and she acts more comfortable without the elastic wrap, or should I keep a tight wrap over it? The pics above are from today. Topmost pic is if your looking at her side, I covered her face in an attempt to subdue her, it partially worked, successful in that she didn't wound herself today. Second pic is a top view, trying to show how much bone is sticking out of the joint, and the skin she has on the backside of her wing. 3rd pic is another sideview, different angle. 4th pic loaded sideways lol, but thats after I applied layers of medical grade manuka honey and neosporin (put mostly neosporin over the nub-end). And last pic is my gauze wrap for today, see if she will leave it alone. I'm not sure what to think of the black scabby stuff on the bottom edge of the joint, will that just heal or should I be removing it? And I'm scared but considering a skin graft over the bone protrusion, maybe I can make that smaller and bring the muscle over it, then take skin from her leg? Or if I wait for it to mostly heal, then have a vet skin graft it, will it cost me ? I'll have money in a month, I'm not sure what this will be like by then tho :/
Thanks again everyone.... Oh and the swellings are going down :) Also, she has a sibling who has twice as many feathers and face-skin as she does, I'm fairly sure she's a girl, no crows from him yet tho :)

Just to help describe it better... the black stuff at the bottom of the nub feels like scab, and theres skin on backside of it that touches it, so it might just be scab? I tried trimming it yesterday and it bled a little where i took it off, I got nervous and stopped, cleaned it thoroughly and drowned it with neosporin...

I would keep an eye on the blackened bits. If it’s dead tissue it will need to be removed. I used sugar on a wound with great success. It may help debride dead tissue for you. I also used stockinette to hold bandages on but anything small and snug will work. A toddler sock maybe with a piece of elastic added to go around her body.

She really looks great! And as everyone has said kudos to you!:clap:clap:clap

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yikes-large-wound-on-hen.1141144/#post-17736677

Flyingnunfarm, the way you healed your hen is amazing, the stockinette is a fantastic idea. I actually found one of my hens with a huge open side gash from my big rooster this morning, but I have this little one in my hospital atm :/ Never imagined I'd be doing so much for chickens lol, but they are so loveably tough! The stockinette would really help her keep the wound clean, thank you :)

Flyingnunfarm, the way you healed your hen is amazing, the stockinette is a fantastic idea. I actually found one of my hens with a huge open side gash from my big rooster this morning, but I have this little one in my hospital atm :/ Never imagined I'd be doing so much for chickens lol, but they are so loveably tough! The stockinette would really help her keep the wound clean, thank you :)
You can buy stockinette at medical supply stores or online. It comes in different sizes and strengths. Some people have used toddler clothes for standard size hens to hold bandages to body.

You can buy stockinette at medical supply stores or online. It comes in different sizes and strengths. Some people have used toddler clothes for standard size hens to hold bandages to body.
Like an infant onesie thing?

Back
Top Bottom