Pics
Good grief, I never got notifications for this! I’ve been wondering for days why you haven’t posted lol. :rolleyes:

SHE LOOKS AMAZING! I’ll try to answer what you asked but I’m sure I’ll forget something.

I don’t think skin grafts will work at all in this case. You need a rich blood supply for that to take and in this case it’s just not there. The fact that her nub looks like an overdone hotwing is good for an ugly but functional limb, but it means no skin would hold.

The black isn’t super concerning, probably just blood and dead skin. Don’t try and remove it, it will slough off as it heals. That’s what the sugar and honey is for, to make that process smoother and less painful. The more moist a wound like this stays, the faster it will granulate in good tissue, and the less stiff and “rippable” it will be. The key is to make sure it is sterile, and that’s why sugar wraps are so good. They resist bacteria while drawing away icky drainage and not drying out the wound. And yes, it is very messy! We usually put it directly onto a bandage that’s a little moistened with saline and then wrap or pack it into a wound. Then you can wrap and bandage as normal. You can be quite generous with the sugar coating, don’t be scared to mound it on.

I really wouldn’t use hydrogen peroxide. More and more studies are showing it has very little benefits like we used to think. The foaming effect really isn’t that good at drawing much out (and makes people think the wound is cleaner than it is), it hinders skin growth, and it hurts like hell. I am a proud saline and betadine devotee.

As for your second hen, I’m a little late, but yes, all dirt needs to be cleaned out at that initial cleaning, which will require a bit of scrubbing. That last picture looks really good, maybe a little too inflamed around the edges so just watch that. Too late now, but I wouldn’t have sutured it anyway. Only once did I take a needle to my hens, and it was a perfect slice of skin that could’ve passed for a skin graft. It was extremely clean and blood supply was perfect. I still left a small hole and watched it carefully for filling up with fluid.

Hydrotherapy is another very useful method for wound management of very tight and dry wounds like these with very little skin to work with. Basically just keep running water on it to soften it up before flushing with whatever you’re using, packing, and then wrapping. There’s a science to it, but that’s the gist of it lol.
Are you in the medical field?

Thank you so so much for your input Tesumph!
Is it bad that I laughed at overdone hotwing lol... my boyfriend wants to call her buffalo, I won't let him lol.
How often should I be changing/cleaning/re-ointmenting these girls? I've been doing once ever 24hours but I'm afraid I'm causing them to dry out, but I also am afraid of cleaning too often... I usually leave for work at 130pm, I could clean them at 6am and then at 12? Or maybe clean/debride at 6, put new ointment or virgin coconut oul at 12?

Also, I made a betadine/water/hydrogen peroxide mix today, omg the color is very red lol. Boyfriend thought duchess was wounded again when he walked in lol. I did water 50%, and the other two 25% each in a quart jar, and poured into a spray bottle for cleaning. I also used the vetericyn to clean them, and then manuka honey with sugar on top. Should I do bacitracin (neosporin) with sugar on top? I'm sorry that I have so many questions, thank you all sooo much, seriously !!

The animal medical field, haha. I’ve worked in two vet clinics and under a lot more vets (ranging from ranch call-outs to mobile vaccine clinics). In about a year I’ll have my bachelors in biomedical science and then I’ll be applying to vet school.
:woot

Is it bad that I laughed at overdone hotwing lol... my boyfriend wants to call her buffalo, I won't let him lol.
How often should I be changing/cleaning/re-ointmenting these girls? I've been doing once ever 24hours but I'm afraid I'm causing them to dry out, but I also am afraid of cleaning too often... I usually leave for work at 130pm, I could clean them at 6am and then at 12? Or maybe clean/debride at 6, put new ointment or virgin coconut oul at 12?
You can call her Hooter (Hooters wings)

I think once a day is fine. There’s no signs of infection and it’s not excessively weeping. Reapplying ointment wouldn’t hurt. I can’t say much for coconut oil.. I’ve never used it but if it works then it works. And yes, betadine is very red! Thankfully it doesn’t really stain the skin like you’d think. I would probably use an ointment with a sugar wrap, but that’s just me. I think all your materials are just fine and will have similar results in the end.

It really does look like a hotwing though, I’m fully in support of your boyfriend. :D

Also, I made a betadine/water/hydrogen peroxide mix today, omg the color is very red lol. Boyfriend thought duchess was wounded again when he walked in lol. I did water 50%, and the other two 25% each in a quart jar, and poured into a spray bottle for cleaning. I also used the vetericyn to clean them, and then manuka honey with sugar on top. Should I do bacitracin (neosporin) with sugar on top? I'm sorry that I have so many questions, thank you all sooo much, seriously !!
:bow
We should all be thanking you!

Back
Top Bottom