Pics
View attachment 1447325 Hey @Raptorchick so, all of your knowledge and wound care came in good handy today. One of our dogs was let out by my toddler and he got our sexlink. Lots of feathers missing, a small open tear. I want to thank you for this thread - it really gave me a lot of knowledge in wound care.
She’s outside because she got very depressed inside. She will be locked in a crate in the coop at night but none of the other girls seem to be messing with her bandage - except for her. She’s so pissed. But she’s a trooper.
O wow, so glad shes okay! It took my girls a couple days to get used to the bandages, but even yesterday Raptor took off her covering again lol. They really go after anything that isn't skin/feather colored. A little blukote or peck-no-more lotion on the gauze helped when I couldn't cover it with vetwrap. She looks very strong :) It still amazes me how tough these birds are.

I like how you're still calling Raptor a girl even though the roo-ness has been disclosed. XD
She's still in the denial phase.
It's ok.
Maybe we should all still call her a girl?
It might make her feel better?
;)

O wow, so glad shes okay! It took my girls a couple days to get used to the bandages, but even yesterday Raptor took off her covering again lol. They really go after anything that isn't skin/feather colored. A little blukote or peck-no-more lotion on the gauze helped when I couldn't cover it with vetwrap. She looks very strong :) It still amazes me how tough these birds are.

Yes! Good advice. She has basically stopped pecking at it entirely. I let her out of her wraps a bit today in attempt to get some air flow to the wound. I covered it generously with antibacterial cream and corn starch / swat spray to deter any flies. I’m hoping it’s doing okay. It looks pretty clean. I’m hoping it closes by itself, my vet told me not to close it. I was going to but since it was animal related he told me it needs to close on its own and that chickens have incredible skinnregrowth. So I’m hoping for the best. She’s eating well and being sassy as usual. A few of the girls have tried to pick at her dressings and she let them know real quick that wasn’t gonna fly. They have otherwise left her alone.

I’m so glad your chickens are doing amazing. You are truly a great owner.

It's been almost 2months already, so crazy! On July 8th I'm taking a trip to the Grand Canyon and Moab, I have 8 days to install a hotwire fence and make sure Raptor can't take off her pouch xp besides that, they keep healing steadily, and I've reinforced/buried the run-fence. My boyfriend's mother will be watching them for the two weeks Im gone, everything should be alright. It seems like they are healing slower without the sugar/honey, but they're so much happier out in the dirt with friends lol. Heres from today:
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG

Still spraying with antibacterial wash every other day, just to be safe.
Hope your girl is doing better Calbobal!

Back
Top Bottom