Well, not the past ten days... Before I left, and then today, I sprayed his nub with BluKote and cleaned the inside of the pouch with a washcloth and spray antibacterial/antifungal (Banixx). He still attacks it every chance he gets, so when I'm taking off the pouch for "maintenance" (every few days) his face has to be covered. He knows the drill.. face in the cover, nub gets cold/sprayed, then he gets treats :)
Maybe he needs to preen those new feathers?
Do you think you'll ever be able to leave it uncovered?

Maybe he needs to preen those new feathers?
Do you think you'll ever be able to leave it uncovered?
I think so... he had lots of healing and feather growth in the past ten days, I hope that in about 2weeks I can leave off the pouch permanently. When he notices the shiny scar tissue he pecks it, even with blukote. Somebody mentioned to me, maybe a month ago, that I should try making a "chicken collar" instead of covering it with a pouch, but that doesn't sound very safe (or comfortable) for him lol...

I think so... he had lots of healing and feather growth in the past ten days, I hope that in about 2weeks I can leave off the pouch permanently. When he notices the shiny scar tissue he pecks it, even with blukote. Somebody mentioned to me, maybe a month ago, that I should try making a "chicken collar" instead of covering it with a pouch, but that doesn't sound very safe (or comfortable) for him lol...
I can see him curiosity pecking at it.
....or maybe it still 'itches'.
....or he feels a 'phantom limb'.

It's been exactly 3 months since Mr. Raptor was injured, and he's doing awesome :))
He took his pouch off on his own about two weeks ago, and he seemed more comfortable, so I've left it alone. Occasionally I'll bluekote the stump if it looks like somebody pecked it, but now his feathers are really coming in so it's mostly hidden.
He does walk with a slight limp, and I've thoroughly checked him out, I think he's just a little imbalanced. He can run and hop easily, and he has a following of young hens that sleep in the lower nesting boxes alongside him (because he can't roost). I put in steps to the roosting bar so he could join the others, and I put in a lower-level branch he can easily hop onto, but he prefers to sit in a box lol.
He still has scabs healing where the stump pokes out a bit, blukote helps but he really hates it lol. Theres a "thumb" (maybe cartilage?) that has been growing on the end of the stump for a month now, at first I thought maybe it was an ingrown feather, but it's not red, warm, 0 signs of infection, I'm not sure if cartilage or bone can regrow to some extent? It's hard and unmovable. I'm keeping a close eye on it, see below :)
20180821_111141.jpg
20180821_111145.jpg
20180821_111332.jpg
20180821_112640.jpg

What a beautiful boy. :love I hope he continues to be a fine rooster for you and your girls, he sure is special.
Has he tried to mate any of the girls yet? I’m curious how he’ll continue to adapt with just one wing.

As for the thumb, it’s probably just scar tissue (sometimes that can build up, kind of like a keloid scar), but it could also be bone calcification. If you’ve ever felt a broken bone that healed the wrong way (like a dog’s broken tail) and felt how hard and round it is, that’s bone calcifying around the break to “fortify” it.

What a beautiful boy. :love I hope he continues to be a fine rooster for you and your girls, he sure is special.
Has he tried to mate any of the girls yet? I’m curious how he’ll continue to adapt with just one wing.

As for the thumb, it’s probably just scar tissue (sometimes that can build up, kind of like a keloid scar), but it could also be bone calcification. If you’ve ever felt a broken bone that healed the wrong way (like a dog’s broken tail) and felt how hard and round it is, that’s bone calcifying around the break to “fortify” it.
Interesting, thank you ! I've got a calcified bump on my knee, that makes much more sense than a thumb growing :p I haven't seen him try to mount a hen yet... maybe he's insecure... he definitely has his own three girls, I'm not sure if he realizes lol. He doesn't crow either, but my bantam roo crows a LOT, I think he just let's the little dude do the talking. Or maybe hes a late bloomer? I super appreciate all the support, thank you guys soo much!!:woot

Back
Top Bottom