Graphic (picture)Chicken attacked need help, smallest runt got vent pecked last night badly. Please read if you can help

Kiti008

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
10 years of raising chickens and I have never seen this. No one is new, no reason other than possible because of the first long winter day. Our smallest chicken got pecked in the vent last night. I kind of think she prolapsed possibly, and it attracted attention which caused the pecking, she is low man on the totem anyhow. They do try to keep her at the bottom of the pecking order. We brought her in last night (she is culled and, in the house,) badly bloody and swollen. Checking every hour and no pooping, if I show fan her tail (in showing you take the chicken and cause it to fluff up its tail to show the vent to show it is healthy and properly functioning) she has contraction movement just not as strong, could be from swelling. Our biggest concern is the fact she seems to not be able to poop. (excrement is coming out but not much) She is kind of just acting like nothing happened. spirits are good, she is eating and drinking as normal, walking around etc. Treated with the anti-bacterial spray almost hourly for first 5 hours, then progressively getting longer between treatments until this morning.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Either in aiding her to poop, or help to healing? For those who say take her to a vet, we do not have any near us that deal with this, we have taken roosters who have fought, or other animals. We live way out in rural area and if you do take them most tell you it's just a chicken. If anyone has had this happen, can you tell us what you have done to help?

Thanks for reading our long post, but I figure the more I give you guys the more it can only help, and also like a lot of you we have quite a bit of experience, we are usually the ones giving the advice, LOL.

If you can get a picture of vent at some point that might be helpful. I would keep her vent area as clean as possible using warm saline or water and lubricate her vent with a little ointment. Maybe getting her to take a little coconut oil or olive oil (about 1/2 -1 tsp) in some food might help her poop. Let us know how she gets along.

Since it is winter, I have seen a lot of people saying Epsom salts soaks. My only fear is it is cold and though the house is warm I don't want to stress her body more by soaking her. Could we do a rinse like women do when having a child. The bottle mix of warm water and Epsom's sprayed gentle at the area? I will get pictures in a little while. I just got done witha treatment of the medicine and am going to let her de stress for a short time

Back
Top Bottom