Graphic Pictures-Eggtopcy on shipped eggs and I’m very hu-happy!!

I’m not seeing intestines out either. The only one that looks like it may have a ruptured yolk is the one you mentioned didn’t have a yolk, which is because it’s ruptured. The membrane is there but the yellow insides have come out. I’m seeing yolks and the stringy membrane that contains the veins; they look like late quitters to me. The large amount of fluid may be an indication of the humidity being too high. Not every egg is going to have the same requirements which is why it’s important to check your air cells throughout incubation. The season, ambient temps and humidity in the room you have your incubator does affect it, and will change as the season changes.
I’m sorry you’ve had a bad first experience with these eggs; it’s always hard when you have a not so great or truly bad hatch, and extra discouraging when they’re special eggs you brought in.

I hatched almost exclusively shipped eggs this year and sometimes you get really good hatches, and sometimes you get a hatch like this that just don’t work out. It’s a gamble we take when we ship these delicate things. I wound up with a single chick out of 2 dozen Legbar eggs, in 2 shipments. The first batch had broken and scrambled eggs (which is probably what happened to your messy ones), and the second had really bad air cells. Sometimes it’s simply the trip that does them in.
There are a lot of differing opinions out there on waiting to incubate/turn, positioning of shipped eggs, etc. You may have to experiment and find what works best for you and your incubator.

Personally, I rest all my shipped eggs for 12 hours upright, then depending on the air cell, they either go in on their side, as usual, or in a carton if they’re especially jiggly. I don’t actually incubator upright for the entire period, although I’m sure it’s fine to do so - many people do with great success. :)
I also hand turn all my eggs, to avoid any issues with turners being too herky-jerky or other equipment failures. (I’ve got a cheap incubator and I hate the turner on it. Lol.)
I do start turning right away, and as I generally set eggs in the evening, I usually turn them for the first time just before bed. They usually have sat in the incubator for 5-6 hours at that point. Then they rest overnight and normal 3x a day turning commences from there.
I also adjust my humidity based on what the shells look like from the beginning and then change it as needed once I see what the air cells are doing. Some eggs are thicker shelled, some are thinner, so you might have to make some pretty big changes if you find the air cells are super tiny or huge too early on.

I bought them from a breeder in S Carolina his name is Lish Boyd. After I bought the eggs he became a real ass and didn’t want to help at all.
Don't let your bad experiences discourage you. The first hatching eggs I bought didn't hatch but then I bought hatching eggs again and had a good hatch rate. Where did you get the hatching eggs from? Maybe just buy them from a different place next time.
Btw... I decided not to get shipped eggs again but I did find a breeder in my state with young birds and he’s so kind. He’s giving me a VERY nice deal on them, he says he has too many and he likes doing this for ppl when he can. Crazy good deal and has some really beautiful birds.

I found the article, eggtopcy, why didn’t my eggs hatch. It was very helpful but I’m going to put up some pictures here for comments. I have a Brinsea incubator and we’ve had this unit for two years. I’ve hatched duck, bantam and goshawk eggs in it so my humidity and temperature are spot on.
These pictures are Serama eggs that were shipped to me and I bought 15 eggs. After 7 days I removed the eggs that were clearly not fertile and after opening them the yoke wasn’t intact, just a mess inside!! By lockdown I only have 6 eggs that looked like they were developing but I only saw one chick move. I’d removed others before lock too. One have a chick that died earlier but I didn’t take a picture of it. So here’s what I found on day 22. Yes I gave them extra time which may have been a mistake. This picture is all 6 chicks. View attachment 2406539
Above you can see that most of the yoke sacks ruptured for some reason and they were like water? View attachment 2406542To me this chick looks fully formed but it’s intestines are out. A few had intestines hanging out and either no yoke sack or it was liquid. Plus most of them had internal membranes that were thick and Like rubber.
View attachment 2406543Such a pretty chick intestines hanging out and a broken yoke sack that was like water? View attachment 2406545This one didn’t have an yoke sack at all In fact none had a normal Yoke sack! They were all in the correct position to hatch but none pipped internally. Thoughts please. Such a waste!! I should also add that every egg had a detached air cell and were put in the incubator upright.

What was your humidity during incubation?

You mentioned thick membrane and burst yolk sacks.

Ive experienced this when humidity was too high.

I’m not seeing intestines out either. The only one that looks like it may have a ruptured yolk is the one you mentioned didn’t have a yolk, which is because it’s ruptured. The membrane is there but the yellow insides have come out. I’m seeing yolks and the stringy membrane that contains the veins; they look like late quitters to me. The large amount of fluid may be an indication of the humidity being too high. Not every egg is going to have the same requirements which is why it’s important to check your air cells throughout incubation. The season, ambient temps and humidity in the room you have your incubator does affect it, and will change as the season changes.
I’m sorry you’ve had a bad first experience with these eggs; it’s always hard when you have a not so great or truly bad hatch, and extra discouraging when they’re special eggs you brought in.

I hatched almost exclusively shipped eggs this year and sometimes you get really good hatches, and sometimes you get a hatch like this that just don’t work out. It’s a gamble we take when we ship these delicate things. I wound up with a single chick out of 2 dozen Legbar eggs, in 2 shipments. The first batch had broken and scrambled eggs (which is probably what happened to your messy ones), and the second had really bad air cells. Sometimes it’s simply the trip that does them in.
There are a lot of differing opinions out there on waiting to incubate/turn, positioning of shipped eggs, etc. You may have to experiment and find what works best for you and your incubator.

Personally, I rest all my shipped eggs for 12 hours upright, then depending on the air cell, they either go in on their side, as usual, or in a carton if they’re especially jiggly. I don’t actually incubator upright for the entire period, although I’m sure it’s fine to do so - many people do with great success. :)
I also hand turn all my eggs, to avoid any issues with turners being too herky-jerky or other equipment failures. (I’ve got a cheap incubator and I hate the turner on it. Lol.)
I do start turning right away, and as I generally set eggs in the evening, I usually turn them for the first time just before bed. They usually have sat in the incubator for 5-6 hours at that point. Then they rest overnight and normal 3x a day turning commences from there.
I also adjust my humidity based on what the shells look like from the beginning and then change it as needed once I see what the air cells are doing. Some eggs are thicker shelled, some are thinner, so you might have to make some pretty big changes if you find the air cells are super tiny or huge too early on.
Thank you. I do the same by watching the air cells during incubation but most of them looked like they were doing well. I live in AZ so our humidity is always low, except during the monsoon rains but that in July. My humidity was set at 50% and the temperature at 99.5. Those are what I’ve used for all the other eggs I’ve hatched. I’ll mention that I’m not new to hatching eggs, I’ve been doing it for 20 years now but I’ve never had anything like this happen. Honestly, when I have eggs in the incubator, I’m in there several times a day checking it. The Brinsea is very reliable but I can’t help myself from always checking. This is the first time I’ve incubated with the eggs upright but the air cells were either completely detached or partly detached. But I still hand turned them a little while upright. Even though I’ve been hatching eggs for this long, I do not consider myself an expert!! It seems like every year something new pops up and so I’m always learning and I like that. Life would be boring if you weren’t always learning!!

What was your humidity during incubation?

You mentioned thick membrane and burst yolk sacks.

Ive experienced this when humidity was too high.
Humidity was 50% and the bantams eggs I hatched this spring, hatched out nicely? Yes a few eggs were hard to get into because of the membrane? Though none were discolored?

Thank you. I do the same by watching the air cells during incubation but most of them looked like they were doing well. I live in AZ so our humidity is always low, except during the monsoon rains but that in July. My humidity was set at 50% and the temperature at 99.5. Those are what I’ve used for all the other eggs I’ve hatched. I’ll mention that I’m not new to hatching eggs, I’ve been doing it for 20 years now but I’ve never had anything like this happen. Honestly, when I have eggs in the incubator, I’m in there several times a day checking it. The Brinsea is very reliable but I can’t help myself from always checking. This is the first time I’ve incubated with the eggs upright but the air cells were either completely detached or partly detached. But I still hand turned them a little while upright. Even though I’ve been hatching eggs for this long, I do not consider myself an expert!! It seems like every year something new pops up and so I’m always learning and I like that. Life would be boring if you weren’t always learning!!
Shipped eggs are a different beast no matter how much you’ve incubated. Haha. :)

And your climate is definitely much, much different from mine! I incubate dry and still have RH of around 30% no problem.

maybe it’s redundant but I’ll ask anyways because I don’t think I saw it anywhere in your first post. Is this the first batch you’ve hatched this season with this incubator? And do you have secondary thermometers and hygrometers to measure that the temp and humidity are accurate? Just trying to help you troubleshoot, I’m no expert either but you learn what works for you as you go along! :D I don’t have a brinsea but I would think they could still fall prey to malfunctions the same as any other technology. :)

any temp spikes, power outages, those kinds of things that may have thrown a wrench into it? An acquaintance of mine lost an entire batch of eggs this year because the power kept flickering and messed with the temps. Too much fluctuation for a few days, she assumes.

And sometimes... we just have to chalk it up to a learning experience and try again. Or try something different, your call. :)

I found the article, eggtopcy, why didn’t my eggs hatch. It was very helpful but I’m going to put up some pictures here for comments. I have a Brinsea incubator and we’ve had this unit for two years. I’ve hatched duck, bantam and goshawk eggs in it so my humidity and temperature are spot on.
These pictures are Serama eggs that were shipped to me and I bought 15 eggs. After 7 days I removed the eggs that were clearly not fertile and after opening them the yoke wasn’t intact, just a mess inside!! By lockdown I only have 6 eggs that looked like they were developing but I only saw one chick move. I’d removed others before lock too. One have a chick that died earlier but I didn’t take a picture of it. So here’s what I found on day 22. Yes I gave them extra time which may have been a mistake. This picture is all 6 chicks. View attachment 2406539
Above you can see that most of the yoke sacks ruptured for some reason and they were like water? View attachment 2406542To me this chick looks fully formed but it’s intestines are out. A few had intestines hanging out and either no yoke sack or it was liquid. Plus most of them had internal membranes that were thick and Like rubber.
View attachment 2406543Such a pretty chick intestines hanging out and a broken yoke sack that was like water? View attachment 2406545This one didn’t have an yoke sack at all In fact none had a normal Yoke sack! They were all in the correct position to hatch but none pipped internally. Thoughts please. Such a waste!! I should also add that every egg had a detached air cell and were put in the incubator upright.
This literally happened to me today. Same number of eggs and same breed. I’ve been told that seramas are notoriously difficult to hatch. I’ve never had problems with any of my other hatches either shipped or from home. I want to try again, but I’m worried

This literally happened to me today. Same number of eggs and same breed. I’ve been told that seramas are notoriously difficult to hatch. I’ve never had problems with any of my other hatches either shipped or from home. I want to try again, but I’m worried
I’m sorry this happened to you too! The Serama eggs are the only eggs I’ve had shipped and I’ve read that many do died shortly before hatching.

Incubate eggs at 25- 30% and you will have much more success hatching eggs. I see liquid all over the paper towels. They drowned in the shells. Sorry.
I didn’t break them open on the paper towel, I used a dish. Most of that fluid is from wiping the counter and some of the chicks were hard to get out of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom