GRAPHIC - What killed my hen?

Oh my word! that's awful! Your poor chickens. I have no experience with foxes, but a word of advice is chicken wire won't hold if an animal (Dog, fox, coyote) were to dig in. Also, make sure the bottom is covered, bury plastic or iron.

I feel like not everyone is taking the time to read the previous comments of Mrs. Light Sussex (the OP). I've been following the thread from the start and she's mentioned numerous times that she saw the fox and there are no raccoons where she lives. But people keep saying it was a raccoon which isn't much help for the poor OP who's now lost all her chickens.
Now that it has been a established it was a fox, she can make the right provisions for next time
Thank you, it's nice to see at that at least one person took the time to read everything I wrote.
I don't blame those that didn't read form the beginning. Everybody is eager to help and willing to give from their time to help others. I do appreciate that.
I purchased a trap, hopefully tonight I will have a picture to prove that it was in fact a fox :p

Thank you, it's nice to see at that at least one person took the time to read everything I wrote.
I don't blame those that didn't read form the beginning. Everybody is eager to help and willing to give from their time to help others. I do appreciate that.
I purchased a trap, hopefully tonight I will have a picture to prove that it was in fact a fox :p
Good luck, can only imagine this is upsetting especially when you hope your set up has been safe and secure.

I've heard they are very difficult to catch, it might take a few nights but don't give up :)

I've heard they are very difficult to catch, it might take a few nights but don't give up :)
Yep so I see, the fox went in to the trap grabbed the bait (a dead chick) and managed to get out. I put the chick back in this time zip-tying its leg to the trap so the fox has to pull which will hopefully get it caught.

Yep so I see, the fox went in to the trap grabbed the bait (a dead chick) and managed to get out. I put the chick back in this time zip-tying its leg to the trap so the fox has to pull which will hopefully get it caught.
Ah it's a very brave little fox. The ones from where I'm from will not go anywhere near something that looks slightly like a trap. I also suspect if there is one fox, there will be more

I would vote for a jackal having spent some time in the middle east. I am not familiar with many other predators in the region. I will admit to not having read your post in its entirety. And would have expected a jackal to have taken more of the animal than just the head.

Tonight, several hours after sunset, I heard a raucous noises from my coop. All seemed in order but a quick head count revealed a missing Plymouth Partridge pullet. No blood to be seen, but there was a pile of tail feathers.
Several hours later a neighbor reported seeing a dead chicken on the side-walk several minutes away from my place. Sure enough the missing pullet was found beheaded. The roost my chickens sleep on it approx. 2 ft high.
I know there are many predators that may decapitate a chicken, but I'm hoping that the pictures will reveal who the culprit is. We don't have North American predators such as skunks, opossums and raccoons. What killed my pullet?
Attached are a couple pictures showing the dead bird.
View attachment 1260930 View attachment 1260932
I'm so sorry you had to see your girl like this. Almost any predator (fox, possum, bear,) will tear a chickens head off. Looks like you will have to tighten up your run and coop to keep out even the smallest predator. Good luck!

Hell yeah! This is what I'm talking about!

IMG_1877.JPG

Back
Top Bottom