Grass clippings in the run??

I use an electric mulching mower and mow pretty frequently in the summer. I let the fallen clippings lie out to dry, then rake them up and toss them in the run (I use deep litter). By partially drying it out, it's a lot less appetizing to my flock, so while they'll certainly nibble it, they're not inclined to overindulge.

Hello.
I have heard both. Yea and nay! So, what is your opinion?
Can/should you put fresh mowed grass clippings in the run?
I would love to hear from multiple people. Why you do or don't.
Any dangers or advantages.
Thanks in advance.
p.s. I hope I posted in the right forum...
Yes you can put grass clippings in your run, but don't put too much as grass clippings start molding if in a pile and you don't want to put too much at a time as the hens need to eat their layer feed so they get enough nutrients to lay eggs, or they may not lay good.

Hello.
Thanks in advance.
I have a neighbor that brings his grass clippings for my chooks they just love it as i do not have enough grass to keep up with the amount they eat they are like cows always grazing.I have kept chooks for over 50 years and my parents for 60 years never having any problem with grass clippings the thing to watch is straw if jou use it as long strands of it will impact the crop....

I will use grass clippings in the coop but always clean out the old clippings before putting the new grass in. This comes with a caveat though, I've noticed that moisture leaks out of the cut grass and if left too long mold and fungus will grow underneath. This can't be healthy for them. As rosemarythyme stated I would prefer to let the clippings dry out first and then use it like hay.

Hello.
Thanks in advance.
Grass clippings are great fun for my 5 girls. One concern I have with mine though is that my dogs poop in the area I mow. They are on heartworm and flea med so worms shouldnt be a problem but I started worrying about that being a risk. I pickup before I mow. But some debris is going to be present

Grass clippings are great fun for my 5 girls. One concern I have with mine though is that my dogs poop in the area I mow. They are on heartworm and flea med so worms shouldnt be a problem but I started worrying about that being a risk. I pickup before I mow. But some debris is going to be present
A tiny remnant of poop would not bother a chicken as much as it bothers us!;)

No chemicals or doggie poo, short blades only, and only just enough for them to enjoy but not overindulge...their crop can handle some but too much will bring big problems...

Back
Top Bottom