Grass in duck run

DuckMom2017

Songster
Aug 24, 2017
NC
Hey all,

Winter months have really turned my run to a mudpit. Luckily, my run is big enough that I plan to section it off to grow some grass. Does anyone have suggestions for types of grass to plant? I'm in NC if that helps.
Looking for some that's fast growing and safe for them to eat.
Also open to alternatives if someone suggests something other than grass!

Thanks!

I was really shooting for something green. I know it'll die but I know they'll enjoy it
grass is a great choice. Have you seen the grow frames that some people use? They look like a picture frame coveted in wire and then placed on the ground.

Grow frames are nice because they are movable.

Of course you do not want the entire ground covered with grow frames, since a life lived on wire is bad for their feet...

What kind of ducks do you have? With regular ducks you probably need the grow frames to stay in place... since they love to drill holes with their bills.

I have muscovy and they don't do that.

Another landscape choice is to plant something on the outside of the fence that will poke through the fence. They can eat the parts that poke through , but can't kill the base of the plant.

Our duck run is all grass...some of it is couch and the rest is some sort of wide blade grass. We hose in the poops each morning so it is clean thick and lush...great for their feet. We have ducks and chickens on it.
Just have to make sure there are no low spots that puddles can form in or they will drill til it turns into a mud wallow teehee. We have a few of those, but they love it so oh well lol.

I use straw in my run, but I like the idea of the grow frame.

I know someone did create something similar for chickens. He raised the frame up slightly from the ground so that the chickens could only ever get the top growth of the grass. As a result, the grass itself keeps growing instead of having been plucked up by the roots or totally eaten down to where it couldn't recover.

I love the idea of a growframe! Thanks @Alaskan ! I have 4 Pekins. There was grass up until about October but we had a very wet winter and it destroyed what was left. So for now they have straw and pine shavings mixed.
@mama duckie I'm impressed you have constant grass! My babies would never allow it!!!!
@purslanegarden I like the idea of raising it. I was hoping to let it grow tall before I let them have at it. I mean- ultimately I want them to enjoy the grass

Back
Top Bottom