1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grass Killer. How long to wait before letting the chickens out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhino533, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I've sprayed grass killer around my yard 6 days ago. When is it safe to let the chickens out of the coop to roam the yard again? We had a really hard rain last night. Does that make a difference? Thanks for any replies!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I imagine the rain has made it about as safe as it's going to get. There is more than one kind of grass killer, though and what is sold there may well not be the same as what is sold here. I would research it on the web, maybe even email the company.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My mind is blank at the moment regarding the brand of weed killer we use - but we've just put the chickens in their run for that day - let them out the next day (assuming it's been dry). I've never see any ill effects in my birds - maybe I've been lucky [​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I've wondered about this too. I figured since I haven't seen my chickens eat dead grass/vegetation, the next time I spray weed killer I'll not let them back out to free range untill the weeds/grass has turned brown, so I'll be pretty sure they won't eat any of the sprayed stuff.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by