Grass to dirt?

Quote:
This is a great idea!
smile.png
I have seen where it was actually done with four runs. The hen house in the middle, and each year a different run is used. One run the chickens currently use, the year previous run is left to compost down, the two year previous run is planted, the three year run is left to grow wild, so that the birds have a nice spot to move to next year. It works great, and the garden grows like magic, with all that composted chicken manure, and is virtually weed, and insect pest free. If I had the room, I would definitely do it that way.

DIRT,wehave a large run and i think it took about 2 weeks for it to become DIRT. Now they get a large slice of hay every week to make up for eating all the grass. Went by Lowes yesterday for some wheat straw,and sweap some out of the p/u and threw it in the run, boy did they go wild,so think i will go to wheat straw instead of hay, the straw was $4.11 and hay is .$10.50 a bale.
yippiechickie.gif

I'm planning on having a 3 yard wrap-a-round for my henhouse ( a front yard, and 2 side/back yards, and a pop-door for each side), rotating once a week Sunday thru Saturday. I do not yet know how large everything will have to be, since moving has been put on hold until the youngest 2 of my children will be graduating this Spring from their schools.

OH! How I am so envious of everyone with chickies, duckies, and everything else farmy!!!
hit.gif
!!!

At least I do get great ideas from everyone! I can't wait until I can post my pics of my accomplishments and my little lovies, when I get them!!! Where I live, there is no way on this amazing Earth I'll be able to have a bunch of extra friends with feathers and fur, as it is right now, I'm "hiding" my cat and her babies from the Rent Office, (been doing this for 2 years now!).
fl.gif

I'm planning on having a 3 yard wrap-a-round for my henhouse ( a front yard, and 2 side/back yards, and a pop-door for each side), rotating once a week Sunday thru Saturday. I do not yet know how large everything will have to be, since moving has been put on hold until the youngest 2 of my children will be graduating this Spring from their schools.

OH! How I am so envious of everyone with chickies, duckies, and everything else farmy!!!
hit.gif
!!!

At least I do get great ideas from everyone! I can't wait until I can post my pics of my accomplishments and my little lovies, when I get them!!! Where I live, there is no way on this amazing Earth I'll be able to have a bunch of extra friends with feathers and fur, as it is right now, I'm "hiding" my cat and her babies from the Rent Office, (been doing this for 2 years now!).
fl.gif

hmm.png
let me think.....dirt. case in point I too have given that much to my chickens and within six months it is all dirt. I do let them free range yet because of the variety of hens I have there are some who get out and forage for food yet others are home bodies.

I say dirt. 16 chicks, between the ages of 4 weeks and 16 weeks old, for a total of three months on garden duty, sucessfully turned to dirt their 50x20 or so run... and they started as 6 ounce birds...

Back
Top Bottom