grass under a tractor

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OrangeCrushCJ7, Apr 22, 2009.

1. OrangeCrushCJ7

OrangeCrushCJ7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Barre, MA
    How long before 6 hens will destroy the grass under a tractor?

2. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Destroy? 2-3 weeks
    Make you think they have destroyed it? 1 week.

I move mine over grass ever 2-3 days.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a 4x7 (footprint) tractor. With just 2 hens in it, they make a noticeable impact on the lawn in just 1 day, really obvious mess in 2-3 days (takes about a month to get back to looking indistinguishable from rest of lawn), and virtually bare dirt in 4-6 days.

This is on a reasonably healthy, reasonably rapidly growing lawn.

I did leave the tractor, with 3 hens in it at the time, in one place for like 3-4 weeks once. OMG, I thought the grass would never come back. But a few months later, the only sign was a slightly brighter-green rectangle of grass.

So unless you want a giant mess, you'll have to move a 6-hen tractor daily. Whether and how well your grass comes back if you let it go to bare earth will depend on what kind of grass you have, some has much less of a sense of humor about that sort of thing. A typical fescue/bluegrass lawn is real hard to kill outright, though it may look awful for some months.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    Destroy? 2-3 weeks
    Make you think they have destroyed it? 1 week.

That is just so funny

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I agree. It looks like they have destroyed the grass but it always comes back. Here is a picture of the spot where my coop and run were last week. The grass is already starting to come back. I moved them to their summer spot where it is shady for the summer. I'm also making another run so I can switch the birds back and forth to give the grass time to recover.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by