1. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I would like to find a use for my yard clippings. My first choice would be to use it as bedding inside the coop. But, it seems that chickens enjoy eating the grass and I don't want them eating their own poop with the grass/bedding.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    My brother uses dried grass clippings for bedding. They aren't as interested in dry grass as they are the green stuff.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My chickens eat grass clippings up like candy... .it's a real treat for them.

4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    get a composter and compost it along with your chicken poo.
    compost:its your friend!

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    We throw heaps of grass clippings in the coops for the birds to play in and eat. It makes a great temporary alternative to chicken feed, and they love it. They don't cared for dried grass as much, but they still love to dig through it. The only negative to using it as a bedding would be that it would rot if it's not completely dried.

6. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I am planning on adding it to my composted but I'd hate for them to eating the grass/poop in the meantime. I was thinking of using the grass as my DLM.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:If you use a mulching mower, the whole question becomes moot (most of the time anyway) AND you will never, or hardly ever, have to buy/spread lawn fertilizer ever again [​IMG]

However if for some reason you really prefer to take all those nutrients out of the lawn, you can sprinkle small quantities in the run for them to eat, and put the rest in your compost pile or give to neighboring gardeners for *their compost pile. Grass clippings *can* be dried and stored for bedding in some climates but they need to be really dry -- really REALLY dry -- before raking and storing, which is not going to happen often in some climates. Think of it as making very very tiny hay [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by