Grateful newbie

Miller chicks

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
oregon
Hello from Eastern Oregon. I am a new chicken mama to 6 beautiful Buff Orpington Hens. We get 3-5 large brown eggs every day and have the sweetest girls. I've learned so much from this site and am truly grateful for the generous sharing that goes on here. I am also relieved to know that I am not the only person that is head-over-heals in love with their flock. I would have thought someone quite crazy if I hadn't experienced this phenomenon myself. I got started with chickens purely for the the egg production but the reward has been the relationship with my little darlings.

My hobbies are stamping and scrapbooking. I am also a new gardener so have had quite the learning curve this summer. My husband and I purchased this home on a half acre last fall with big dreams of what it could become. We will be planting a few fruit trees this fall and will raise a couple of spring calves for beef come next winter. The funny thing is that I am a vegan (for health reasons) so I don't get to enjoy the little gifts our hens give us each day; however, my husband and family members eat yummy eggs regularly and will most definitely enjoy organic beef next year.

The poop from our coop and chicken yard are deposited daily in our compost pile for next year's garden. I doubt that we'll ever eat these chickens but will enjoy their company for as long as they are healthy. Even when they no longer lay eggs, they still produce the garden gold that enriches our soil. I live in gratitude for the rich blessings God created for our benefit and to be cared for by us.

Hi and welcome to BYC! Yes, you are among many like-minded people here! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! It sounds like you and your family are having a great time there with your new flock! Those fresh eggs sure are delicious and finding them is like finding treasure in my book! Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock!

Lots of folks don't eat their birds but have a retirement coop for them as a reward for years of egg laying. Some folks don't even eat the eggs, just enjoy chicken TV, and socializing with their flock.

Back
Top Bottom