Gravely ill hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johndeerematt, Aug 26, 2014.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    She was just fine this morning. Now she can hold her head up a bit and is responsive, but she can't stand up, is laying on on side, and her comb/wattle is purplish. She's also breathing heavy. What is wrong?? I have no idea what to do...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some electrolyte water into her by dipping her beak or putting a dropper to her beak and drop a drop or two at a time. Sometimes I will use a little bowl and hold it up in front of the beak. Is she hot or suffering from heatstroke? If she is having heatsroke, you could spray her with some tepid water to cool her. The purple comb is from not getting enough oxygen into her blood.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of TheChickenChick.com
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water
    *Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Thank you!! I will certainly try. I'll let you know how she does.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Are any of the others acting sick? Any diarrhea?

5. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    At this point, where she can barely stand up, she is probably not eating.

I would feed her something in the beak, with a syringe. I am no expert and not sure if what I did was ok, but I did two things:
    - I fed my sick ones some water mixed with chick feed
    - I fed them liquid nutrition for humans, to give them proteins and carbs.

When you do that, you don't want to put too much food in the beak at once or else the hen might aspirate the liquid. I just put a few drops, give the hen a chance to swallow, and continue on.

Another thing I did was to put pillows or towels on the sides of the chicken so it remains in sternal position (not fallen down on either sides). Not sure if this applies to chickens, but with other animals that are a bit heavier, they can get lungs or legs problems if they are laying on their side for too long, so that's why I tried to keep mine straight.

Good luck.

6. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    As of now, her condition has improved a little bit. the purplish color has gone away significantly, she has see bit more strength, and the cardboard box I have her in (open top naturally) she managed to get herself propped upright in the corner! I'm thinking now that she is sick. Maybe it was a heatstroke and she is taking a long time to recover. Should I try medicated feed maybe?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chick feed mixed with water or vitamin water would be good, as well as scrambled soft egg. Sometimes i will give them a few bead crumbs covered with a mixture of buttermilk whipped with raw egg. How old is she, and is she having diarrhea?

8. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    She is a year and a half old, and she did have a bit of diarrhea. Wasn't bloody or out of the ordinary, just no form at all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by