Gravy got killed

Bisqit&Gravy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
My handsome boy Gravy(OEG) got killed Monday night. I found him yesterday am when feeding before I left for work....what was left of him:-( I've never had this happen before and freaking out about. The killer dug under the fence. The top is covered.

Gravy would attack my dogs thru the fence if they got too close to his girls so we're pretty sure he was defending them. Bisqit(OEG)is missing all her tail feathers, Toffee(Mille Fluer) is missing lots of feathers and Caramel(MF) is hopping on one leg. She's got a huge gash across the top of her leg above her foot and puncture wounds in her thigh. The only one in that pen not hurt is Hashbrown the huge silkie mix hen....she's about 3 times the size of the banties. I cleaned Caramel up and put some ointment on the wounds. Thankfully it's gotten cool and no flies plus the others are not picking on her so I hope she'll be ok. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Now all the banties are locked up at night and not liking it one bit!! We will be hooking up several strands of electric fence around them like what's around my ducks yard. The same fence charger too since we have found fried oppossum on it. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not but one of my sensor flood lights died a few days ago so there was no a flood pointing that way the night Gravy got killed. Getting a new light fixture too!!!

One thing that has me puzzled is why it didn't go after my standards who are right next door??? Is it possible for whatever it was to be scared of Mo the NN Roo? He's huge compared to a bantie and probably close to 2 feet tall now.

I feel for you. I lost one of my Australorps this weekend to my dog, also. I've only had her for 2 weeks and was very upset, so I can only imagine how you feel about one you've had for awhile.

It's the shepherd mentality, I think. As in, we are like shepherds to our flocks (who happen to be chickens instead of sheep). I have been amazed at how protective I feel towards them, being new to this.

Back
Top Bottom