Gravy help

kodiakchicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
Okay, here's my dirty little secret - I can't make gravy. Don't tell my mother!

I have tried over the years but I just never seem to get it right. I usually resort to the packaged gravy. However, I'm having everyone over for Thanksgiving this year and I'd really like to make it from scratch. Any help?

OH, the shame.... Hang your head, woman.
wink.png

How do you attempt to make it? ....so we can trouble-shoot. And you gotta know - that real pan gravy isn't gonna resemble that insipid store-boughten stuff.

OK gravy is like biscuits, you have to do it several times to get it just right. Take you a skillet (preferably not a non stick) put you a tsp or 2 of butter, oil, crisco or something. You have to have some fat for the gravy to make. Turn on med hi to get that melted. After it is melted put a quarter of a cup of flour (give or take) in and stir. It is gonna be a big lump of goo. Now take whatever liquid you are using. Milk, broth, etc. Start pouring it in the skillet, while you are stirring. Now stir, stir, stir, stir! It's gonna bubble and get thick FAST. If you need to thin it add a little more liquid, It is best NOT to have to add more flour because then it will be lumpy. Don't forget to add some salt and pepper to taste.

This is what I do: keep the giblets in the pan when roasting turkey, when done, remove turkey - of course. Whatever veggies you're cooking save the water/juice from veggies and add to pan drippings, depending on how much gravy you wanna make. I use a little gravy master to darken it up, a little salt and pepper, more juice from veggies, a little flour and keep whisking it til you get the desired gravy. Good luck.

I plan to use the turkey grease and make a light brown-ish gravy. Since I make my turkey in a roaster with the dressing I'll pull some of the grease and juice from that and make it in a skillet.

Usually (and this is a thin memory, since I don't do it often) I heat the grease & juice and then I mix some flour into a glass of water and add it to the juice and mix it up. I just never seem to be able to get enough or to get it to thicken enough. I know it thickens as it cooks, but mine always seems thin. And what to add for flavor? It always seems bland.

Thanks!
\\
hide.gif
(hiding in shame)

This will get moved to the right place eventually, but gravy is so easy! I just take the drippings from the bird, some water, a few seasonings and Wondra flour - blue cannister in the cooking aisle. It is finely sifted and perfect for gravy, no lumps EVER. mix the water with the drippings until it starts to bubble, then start adding the Wondra, using a whisk. Keep adding water, seasonings and Wondra until you have the amount you want. Everyone has always loved the gravy - I make it a few times a week with chicken.

Salt, pepper, and the juice is what gives it the flavor. Get the stuff that settles on the bottom of the pan of turkey, not the top of it. If your gravy is too thin, you need more flour. Read my first post and it tells all that.

Back
Top Bottom