Gray khaki duckling

Bird nut 2000

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2018
Just got some ducklings from the feed store. I picked the little gray drake because I loved his gray color and thought it might be a mutation. Can khakis be gray?
20220519_181250.jpg
20220519_181052.jpg

His name is Thunderquack.

It could be a different breed of duck, however, most poultry breeders keep breeds with their own kind. It's probably just a Khaki Campbell in a lighter color. They can come in lighter or darker shades. What store did you get them from? Were they all labeled as a Khaki Campbell? It could be mixed but that's usually not the case... Do you have any better pictures? It could be a runner, swede, possibly a gray muscovy or Khaki Campbell... I would say if that's not a Khaki Campbell, it's probably a blue swede.

Last edited:
Does it have yellow eyeliner (like the ducklings on the left below)? Is so, I agree with IvysAnimals and you have a blue Swedish. Otherwise, if you got them from Tractor Supply it could be a dark Campbell. Tractor Supply uses Hoover Hatchery and they are offering dark Campbells, new this year. A dark Campbell is genetically like a Khaki except it has black instead of sex-linked brown. I just hatched some mixed Khaki ducklings and got one which I think will look like a dark Khaki. It still looks brown but a darker, blacker brown. She is the brown duckling in the middle. A third option is similar, it could be a male Golden 300 hybrid. They are a sex-linked Khaki mix of some sort. The males have the dominant black allele and the females the brown. You can google what the ducklings look like. A new mutation would be totally cool but I doubt a hatchery would sell it then. Let us know what it grows up to be.
IMG_0169.jpg

It was in with pekins and my north 40 gets there chicks from Hoover hatchery. Those picks are the only ones I have. The gray on Thunderquack was not noticeable until I picked him up out of the cage and when i put him with the other 2.

Back
Top Bottom