Gray Liver with Red Spots - Anyone Know What Might Cause This?

MagicChicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I've been culling cockerels and they've all had extremely healthy livers, except for one. That bird looked and acted healthy, but it had a gray liver with red spots. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. It was not tan or brown. It was a bluish gray color, with burgundy red polka dots. The spots were close to normal liver color. I have seen tan or brown livers before, usually in older birds from other people, but never a gray one. Anyone have any idea what might cause a liver to go gray with red spots? I can't find anything like it in the reference materials I have.

Did not get a picture - had no camera handy and I was too covered in blood and guts to go get one. Didn't think to put it aside for a later photo. Kicking myself now because it was such a weird looking thing. Good thing that bird had a pinched tail or I might not have culled him when I did.

I know that Fowl Cholera causes the liver to look "cooked" with small grey-white spots. The bacterium of Fowl Cholera (Pasteurella Multocida) does cause internal hemorrhaging. Perhaps it advanced causing spots on the liver to become red? Perhaps someone else knowledgeable can chime in.

I know that Fowl Cholera causes the liver to look "cooked" with small grey-white spots. The bacterium of Fowl Cholera (Pasteurella Multocida) does cause internal hemorrhaging. Perhaps it advanced causing spots on the liver to become red? Perhaps someone else knowledgeable can chime in.

This did not look at all like the photos of Fowl Cholera livers I found online.

The bird was healthy and vigorous when I culled him.

Many liver diseases will cause the liver to have spots on it from hemorrhage. They will be different colors. I don't know what caused this, but an easy way to find out might be to call you state vetrenarian--the one that does necropsies--and ask.

Back
Top Bottom