Gray runny poop

Ms. Chick

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
roll.png
I found a young black rooster on my neighbors driveway in the snow. He was just sitting there, cold and hungry. He seems healthy, macho, eats well but his poop is gray and runny. Should I be concerned?

I would give him a few days to get the food going though him. Then start to worry since you don't really know the birds background. Do keep him away from your own flock if you have one.

Thank you for helping him. As was noted above, see how things look after a few days of really good food, clean water, and good safe rest in a comfortable setting that is not too cold since he was likely compromised from being cold and hungry (did he let you pick him up?). If you have Avia Charge 2000, get some of that in his water. Mine won't drink it at the dosage the label recommends. I have to water is down quite a bit.
The poor thing has been eating who knows what so the real test will be to see how his poop looks after TLC.
Hoping he will be well
fl.gif

JJ

I have had him about 2 or 3 weeks. He is loose with an older hen. Yes, he let me pick him up, as it was cold and semi dark. Why he was there in the middle of a drive way in the snow is odd. He does have frost bite on his comb.
Thanks for the advise. I will get a fecal done. I am fortunate that there is a vet close by that I can use for chickens.
The rooster does appear to be healthy in all respects except the poop.

what are you feeding him?(hen, too?)

how are the hen's droppings?

until you're able to get the Avia Charge ..maybe some Polyvisol childrens vitamins will help..2-3 drops a day for a week, tapering off.

give him some extra protein..
mix up some layer feed, some water cooked oatmeal, chopped cooked egg, and plain active culture yogurt.

give to both chickens.

how does his comb look?
a little neosporin wouldn't hurt..but don't rub, just dab on.
how does his vent look?
is the hen laying?

good of you to take them in.

They both get nonmedicated layer pellets. Both eat very well. The rooster has beautiful irridesent black feathers and the comb is a very healthy red. The tips are frost bit a little. Haven't checked his vent. Don't know where he roosts to catch him. The hen lays most every day and her poop is normal.

Today the rooster was on my back deck and his poop was normal:D There are alot of puddles around from the melting snow. Possibly he drank from the puddles, which could have old weed spray, diesel, antifreeze or ?? I am careful about these products but who knows. He and the hen get along fine. This is a hen who was always last in the pecking order. So I let her have the run of the place and now she has a friend (her first). This rooster is a crowing machine. I think he is healthy and will be just fine. Thanks for all your ideas and concern.
God Bless.

Today the rooster was on my back deck and his poop was normal:
yippiechickie.gif
There are alot of puddles around from the melting snow. Possibly he drank from the puddles, which could have old weed spray, diesel, antifreeze or ?? I am careful about these products but who knows. He and the hen get along fine. This is a hen who was always last in the pecking order. So I let her have the run of the place and now she has a friend (her first). This rooster is a crowing machine. I think he is healthy and will be just fine. Thanks for all your ideas and concern.
God Bless.

Back
Top Bottom