Graze all day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenMamaC, Jul 12, 2018.

1. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    My chickens free range daily nearly all day, but they still have food available in the run 24/7.

lcwmt likes this.
  2. funnyfoshay

funnyfoshay Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    what about chipmunks and squirrels they are eating my chicken feed...all day!

3. I don't know, I've never had that issue. Kill or trap them? Figure out where they're getting in and block the holes.

sourland likes this.
  4. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Pellet gun works wonders on chipmunks
    I only feed twice a day. 1/3 pound of feed per chicken split into two meals Into 1 bowl per 4 chickens so no one hoards. They free range the rest of the time. Keeps all critters from stealing food.

I don’t know if that is right but it works for me and no one goes hungry. At night they all have a crop he size of a golf ball. I check them all at night when I go to mingle and close up the coop.

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I feed in the morning and give a little more in the afternoon. If I free feed all day I'm just feeding the prairie dogs and wild birds. I bet if I dumped the whole bag of food out in the morning it would all be gone by evening. So I try and limit it to what my birds are actually eating.

6. BrittanyTheYooper

BrittanyTheYooper In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2018
    I have feed in the coop all day, I notice since they are essentially full free range they just scavenge most the day and eat either right before they go to bed or when they first wake up. During the day they mostly eat grass and bugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: